Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1998 Banshee problem need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2000, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 1998 banshee that was not started since july i ran the carbs dry before it sat it has toomys and the carb are jetted at 280. The bike will start but idel as soon as you give it gas it dies i pulled the carbs off and cleaned them put them back on and its still the same. My friend also has toomies on his banshee and has the carbs jetted at 300 what do u guys run as a main jet
Thankx in advance
Alex

Old 01-02-2000, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

THEXOTIC1,
Did you drain the tank? It sounds like you still have some varnish in the system some where. What about the jets? did you remove them & spray with carb cleaner, specifically the pilot jets which control the mixture from idle to 1/4 throttle? Use compressed air after a liberal dose of carb cleaner on the jets.
I doubt that the main jets are your problem as they affect the fuel mix at upper rpms (3/4 to full throttle. I would pull the slides while I was at it & spray them & the needles & needle jets (where the needles rests).

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 01-02-2000).]

Old 01-02-2000, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Yes i did drain the tank and the carb bowls i also cleaned the main jet and the smaller jet the carbs were clean when i took them apart i put new plugs in and still the smae problem air filter is clean. When i remove the plug from the head alot of smoke comes out of the spark plug hole so i am thinking my reeds are stuck or opened a little. Cause the smoke is not escaping
Alex

Old 01-02-2000, 08:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also think about temperature, and how it effects the jetting. It may be right for a 90 degree day, but what about 15 degree day. Where do you live?

Old 01-06-2000, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Hey guys I found the problem with the 98 banshee after completly cleaning the carbs and checking the reeds we disconected the TORS carb system and jumped the to wires on each side together. The thing runs great. What does this tors system do anyway . We removed this on an 87 with a carb cap kit
Alex

Did anyone else have this problem with the tors system . I also had this problem with a 91 blaster a few years back

Old 01-06-2000, 11:13 AM
Pro Rider

The tors system acts as an ignition cut out for two different things. One is for the emergency brake (to keep the engine rpm limited so you don't ride off with the brake on or for safety reasons), the other is in case the throttle is stuck wide open (but I don't know how it knows you are not wanting it wide open). These things come directly from a local Yamaha dealer. If you disconnect the tors box, located on the frame rail above the left cylinder, it will effectively stop it from working. There is no need to jumper any wires after disconnecting the box. It has a single plug connector that can be left dangling.

If you are still having a hard starting problem, run a compression check. If you don't have a gauge, they are cheap (about $25) and can be bought at an auto parts store. Buy one that has a pressure relief valve. I'd recommend the gauge be part of any owners tool kit.