Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Question on the Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2000, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question...Ihave a 98 Grizzly that is doing just fine. However, I am thinking hard about the Kodiak but wonder how it does going through water. There are a number of water crossings where I ride....a couple that I normally go through are just below the racks. No problem on the Grizz...but how would the Kodiak do? I read a magazine article that siad it wasn't so good at water crossings?????

Old 01-10-2000, 06:46 AM
Pro Rider

Dear Submariner,
The Carb Intake is in between the point where the seat meets the gas tank and the gas filler cap. The intake duct opening for the belt housing cooling system is 2 inches below the front rack. You will notice the vent slots for it in the black plastic hood under the front rack. The exhaust duct opening is just under the tail light. All of these opening are about the same height.
The Grizzely is a taller unit and it has the same tranny cooling system as the Kodiak. If water comes over the Hood it's gonna suck water.
More & more I am seeing where folks are trying to make ATV's into Submarines. Hmmmm?
The Kodiak is a real nice machine. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Keep dunking any machine and it will soon show signs of disliking it.

therock 2000Kodiak

Old 01-10-2000, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Therock: Thanks for the info....I haven't had the opportunity to really take a close look at the Kodiak and haven't ridden one yet so the info is very good. Also, you're right ....if you continue to go through deeper water, sooner or later you're gonna suck it up. The Grizz, like you say, is in fact tall enough and goes right through..... I ride with a couple of other guys...Bayou and a Foreman....and they go slow through the crossings so as not to create a bow wave that washes over them. Getting a bit clse to the edge eh?

Gimp