Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Lyle, do a "search" on this forum. You will find a lot of info on the "flipped Linkage" including pictures. In a nutshell, look at the piece your rear shock is attached to at its' lower mount. You will see the shock is not directly connected to the swing arm itself but to an aluminum part that is attached to the swing arm and another link up to the frame. Flipping that piece the shock is connected to will lower the quad without losing shock travel. It is not a complicated procedure and is reccommended except for big jumping.
.......Maxi Razrs are here, as are new Renthal Banshee bend bars, 12T sprocket next, linkage, flip front wheels (reverse valve stem, drill hole and install new valve stem). HMF quiet core slip-on, Works two stage Banshee shocks (1"shorter)with rezzies.
Whew!.....And this isn't even my quad! It's my son Skyler's!
Hey Son, How about some Nerfs for your Dad for Xmas eh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2001, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

I went ahead and got the holeshot imatation cause that was the only thing I could get without having to wait a couple of weeks.

Thanks All

Old 11-03-2001, 09:20 AM
Range Rover

Lyle1,

You can see a pictorial of how to do the linkage flip at :
http://www.metalcraft-ar15.com/bash/lowering.htm

The lowest part of the Raptor is under the rear axle (about 4.5 inches). Remember that the height of the rear tires is the only thing that can raise or lower this point. 22 inch rear tires will raise your rear gound clearance under the axle 1 inch (half of the tire gain). This extra inch of clearance makes a huge difference. The linkage flip lowers the clearance under the FRAME, which has about 12 inches of clearance before the flip, and about 10 inches of clearance after the linkage flip. The frame to ground clearance has never been a problem for me, and lowering the height of the Raptor by 2 inches made a big difference in the cornering capabilities. If you search for the word "linkage" in this forum you will find many entries, some of which say that it's a bad idea because of you do really large jumps you can bottom the frame on the ground if you land too hard. I've never had this problem, but I don't jump more than a few feet high on woods trails...The linkage change only takes about 20 minutes to do, so you can always change it back if you don't like it. The Raptor always felt a little "tippy" when taking fast corners when it was stock. It would just start to feel like it was going to go up on two wheels just before the tires would break loose. Getting rid of the stock tires helped a lot, then flipping the linkage helped even more. Now it corners MUCH better.

Good luck,
Lorrin[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]