Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New product: Clear Guard for ATV Plastic protection

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw the ad on ATV Connection for a product called Clear Guard.

Basically, it is clear tape that you put over your ATV fenders to prevent them from getting scratched.

Each set is cut out for an individual model of ATV.

The set for the Banshee is $99.00. That seems pretty high to me considering full graphic kits are much less.

Does anyone have any experience with this new product>

Their website is: www.clear-guard.com

What'ya think?

Old 11-18-2001, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Take a look at their website.

What'ya think?

Do you have any other ideas at a much chaper cost? In theory, I really like the idea. But, $100.00....ouch!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2001, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

that's funny! I just asked pretty much the same question in the honda forum. I'm also struggling with it, new fenders for the 400ex are just about the same price. I'll let you know what I find out!

Old 11-18-2001, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

I don't see how this will work. I tried to put some heavy clear vinyl on the wear areas on the rear fenders on my raptor and noticed after a couple of rides it was tearing because of the back of my boots rubbing on the vinyl. If it works let me know, but I sure wouldn't spend $100 to find out what is pretty obvious.

Old 11-18-2001, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

FYI - there's been a similar product out for snow skis for years ($5-$10). It works really well and does not peal up like vinyl tape. You may be able to get some of this from your local ski shop to protect those wear spots. Only drawback to this type of product I've seen with skis, is that after a year or two the tape starts to yellow. Not a problem on most colored finishes, but if you have white - yuk.

Old 11-18-2001, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider

I think I found the stuff that they are offering. It is a material from 3M products, so I went to there site and found this:

3M Scotchcal Paint Protection Film

You can get it in all kinds of sizes. Would probably be alot cheaper this way.

No prices on the site though.

Old 11-19-2001, 03:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got a clear guard kit on my raptor, 5 months old and the stuff is great.My quad has been through mud and bushes, and the kit taken the abuse, not my fenders.Its not a tape but some type of film with an adhesive backing.I've seen the kits applied on a bomb 650 and the new grizzly 660, looks good.

If I remember correctly its a 3M product, even if you could purchase the film (raw stock) how are you going to get a nice die cut fit and finish like the clear guard.

It's not cheap and you can aways buy new plastic..but even your new plastic will get scratched....once again.

Its time to ride..........later.

Old 12-07-2001, 11:18 AM
Range Rover

I know this thread has been buried for a while but I have to ask, how hard is it to install and make it look good? Just a bit concerned that I would get bubbles and stuff like that. I have a friend that have this stuff on the front of his car to prevent stone chips. It looks great and has been on the car since 1994 without any signs of coming off. His car is black and you cant really even see it. Thanks

Old 12-07-2001, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey MNWILDFAN,

It took me about an hour to install(01 Raptor), the front fenders are the easiest,where the back fenders are more difficult (due the curvature)and took additional time. The kit comes with a teflon coated squeegee which works really well. If you take your time and follow the instructions it should turn out fine. If ya want me to send ya some pic's of my Raptor with the Clear Guard kit installed send me your
e-mail address.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-07-2001, 03:00 PM
Range Rover

I would like to see the pictures. Use the email in my profile or jeepboy@black-hole.com

Thanks

Quick Reply: New product: Clear Guard for ATV Plastic protection