Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

HELP-Raptor A-arm and Frame silver pain

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2001, 03:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does any one know where to get the silver paint for the Raptor A-arms and frames on the black and white model?
I have asked all the dealers in my area and none of them really know where to get it or what the color code is. I have got some chips I'd like to touch up and any info on this paint would help a lot. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2001, 08:20 AM
Pro Rider

I know this seems a little strange but, I had our local auto parts store come over and take a picture of it. What I mean is, they mix paint for cars. They also have a camera that you actually place on a painted object and it analizes the paint color. They take the camera back to their store, plug it into their computer and it then comes up with a paint mix formula that usually matches the origanal paint perfectly.

I keep the silver paint that comes on the stock Yamaha frames, in stock at our shop. The paint is acrylic enamel. If a customers machine needs touched up or a used machine needs touched up, I just mix some reducer with my paint and brush it on as needed. Sometimes I will bring in my mini spray gun to use if it is a bigger spot. The spray gun leaves a nicer finish than a brush.

I will usually have the auto parts store mix me up a pint of paint($16). I usually get a quart of reducer($8). The mixing ratio is, 2 parts paint to 1 part reducer. This means you get enough reducer for 4 pints of paint.

I tried to get the Yamaha blue mixed up also but I can only get a paint formula that is a basecoat/clearcoat. I don't want to do all that work just for a couple of nic's.

Old 11-18-2001, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

Wow. Thanks for the info but I don't know of any auto parts store around here with that kind of equipment. Could I buy some from you or do you have any suggestions as to what else I can do? Like you said, just a couple of nics but lots of work to get em fixed if you don't know where to get the paint! Anyone else know of a solution? Again, Elroy, if I could buy some from you that would be great. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2001, 02:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Slappie! You would not have so many rock chips in your paint if you were not always trailing!

Old 11-19-2001, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Nice!! I bought the Raptor slightly used and am trying to fix his rock chips. Maybe that's why he sold it, he was always in the rear. I don't anticipate any NEW rock chips, Alan.