Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Winterize a raptor coolant system??????????

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 05:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does anyone know if I should winterize the cooling system on my raptor. I still have the original coolant in that came with it. If some one could give me some insight I would appreciate it. Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-26-2001, 06:26 PM
The Facility

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be on the safe side. Just replace your coolant and run it through the system and then kill the engine. Simple as that.

KNOWSALOT

Old 11-26-2001, 06:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

cool thanks.

Old 11-27-2001, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I wanted to add my $.02 in here.. most of these suggestions are for storing your quad a couple months or more..

When replacing the coolant, remember that it still need to be mixed 50% coolant and %50 water.

Also, if it's going to sit more than a couple weeks, make sure you 100% drain the carbs of all gas. Draining the tank isn't neccasry, but I do it anyway, then put in new gas come spring time.

The bottom of the carbs on raptors have phillips screws that you need to open up in order to drain the carbs, just make sure the gas is either empty or turned off.

It's also not a bad idea to get the quad up on some cinder blocks or something, helps with bearing life. That way theres very little to no weight on the bearings all winter.

Just my $.02..
Brad

Old 11-27-2001, 12:37 PM
RIP Dear Friend

I don't drain anything. I use sta-bil in the fuel systems about a month before storage and have never had any starting problems when spring comes. Have been using sta-bil in my emergency generators for over 10 years and if I go out there right now that fuel in one generator has been in there for over a year and it will start right up.
Chet

Old 11-27-2001, 01:07 PM
Pro Rider

I've never used any of the gas stability products, but I don't doubt they work.

To me it's easier to drain the carbs, as the raptors have screws built right in for this purpose, it only take a couple minutes, and it's really effective.

I guess the key point is don't leave normal gas in the carbs, it will gum up.. wouldn't you agree?

Old 11-27-2001, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer
Old 11-27-2001, 10:35 PM
The Facility

Bansheebrad, I see your point in draining the carbs to prevent them from gumming up, but I disagree with you. Case in point being that every spring, the guys who drained their carbs. for winter storage usually require a carburetor REBUILD come spring. Where as the guys who didn't run sta-bil or other fuel stabilizer require a carburetor CLEANING at the most, if at all. For a few weeks, I see it being a very feasible alternative, but for months at a time, every seal and o-ring in your carburetor will have dried out by then causing a probability for leaks. Especially the needle valve assembly. The screw is there more for maintenance regarding problems that have already arised and not for draining gas for storage. While altitude and humity alter the length of time for your carburetor to "gum" up, it won't happen in 3 months.

KNOWSALOT