Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Hubs wobble on Lone Star axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2001, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I instaled a Lone Star axle on my Raptor and after first weekend of riding, the hubs wobble on the axle spline. The wheel hubs are getting "egged" out by the axle. I thightened !@#$ out of the castle nut and pinned it, but after riding, it wobbles. Any ideas on how to shore up the looseness of the hubs on the axle??

thanks for your input.

s

Old 11-29-2001, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider

if the castle nuts are just coming loose after riding alittle while here is my suggestion.mine used to come loose very easy so i took some glue(i used scott grip glue) and some tap(i used the expanding kind, but masking take works too) and i put the tape on the axle threads ten covered it with the glue, then put the nut as as tight as it would go and i havent had anymore trouble.

if the nuts arent coming loose then maybe your hubs could be worn out or it may be possible they sent you the wrong axle, just a thought,but i could be completely wrong.

good luck

Old 11-29-2001, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

i meant to say tape and not tap..

Old 11-29-2001, 02:37 PM
Range Rover

I had the same problem with my Lonestar axle. I could tighten the hell out of the castle nuts and they would still loosen up after one hour of mellow riding. I called Lonestar and asked them why my stock Raptor hubs don't fit the splines on their axle proberly. Their response was something to the tune that the heat treating and chroming process they use to produce their axles don't always produce a good fit with the stock hubs. Basically what they were saying is that the tolerance on the splines for their axles is huge - big enough to allow a lot of slop with the stock hubs. The Lonestar person then told me that I could send the axle back to them and for a fee they would build up the chrome on the splines of the axle to take up the slop. I was also told that their hubs will fix my problem. That pissed me off even more. Don't they slip a pair of stock hubs on each finished axle to make sure everything fits right? Obviously not.

Anyway, I solved the problem by taking the advice of one of the guys on this forum. I bought some JB Weld and applied that to the splines of the axle before sliding on the hubs and letting everything dry over night. I had to re-tighten the nuts once after the first hour of riding, but never again (after seven months). I haven't tried to remove the hubs since then, but I do know that re-tightening the castle nuts moved the hubs in a little (so they're not stuck to the axle).

Old 11-29-2001, 06:39 PM
Pro Rider

I may try some plasti-kote or some other two part epoxy. I wonder if Lone Star would give me a hard time if I ended up returning it with JB weld slapped on it??

More suggestions please.

thanks.

s

Old 11-29-2001, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well, Durablue may have their problems, but it is strong and everything works and fits perfectly. I really didn't like the attitude that Lonestar had with me a year ago when I stopped in to ask a few questions. Their salesperson was like, "yeah, if you give us a deposit, we can start building your stuff, cuz their is a 10 month wait on it." F-you I thought.

Old 11-29-2001, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer

I also noticed my hubs wobbling after installation of the axle. I found that the castle nuts were machined wrong. The flat surface that mates to the hub when you tighten the nut was not flat. So the more you tightened it the more of a bind the hub was in. I ground down the high spot until it was true. No more wobble. This could be your problem too. Just take the hub off and spin the castle nut on the threads. If it's machined wrong you can see the flat surface wobble.