Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor tranny's

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2001, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]I am going to purchase a 2002 Raptor within the next week. I read that the problems with the tranny's can be traced to a particular manufacturer. I heard that the tranny's were made by 3 different manufacturers. Is this true, and if so which one is making the bad tranny's, and can these be traced by serial numbers, or have the problems been fixed for the 02 model year machine. Please advise.

Old 12-18-2001, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Well its news to me but possible and the so called tranny problems
well... Yamaha did change the gearing for 02 ,but I personally never have had any problems with my 01

Old 12-19-2001, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

guys like you kill me.ive read so many posts on this forum from guys like you defending the so called trany problem,then when yours breaks youll be pissed just like everyone else and be right back on here complaining and wanting to know how to fix it.ill gaurenteen got damntee you fortin racing didnt develope a 800.00 set of gears and forks for the raptor just to fix a so called problem!further more yamaha didnt change all the gears,brgs,shafts,case halfs,and shift forks to change the gear ratio.the group of guys i ride with have three 01 raptors and two 02,s so far two of the 01 have had the trans repaired,one of them mine,and the third is starting to act up!i dont know how many raptors you ride with but we went riding sunday and met up with some other freinds 10 quads,7 raptors,just because you dont have problems yet dosnt mean theres not a problem

Old 12-19-2001, 01:24 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 2001 Raptor with a low 3000-something serial number. No problems. I have four other friends with 2001s....nothing, no problems. hope it stays that way

Old 12-19-2001, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider

Derbyking, who's defending the '01 tranny in this thread? rraptor13 merely suggested that he hadn't heard about the 3 different tranny vendors but his '01 hasn't had a problem yet. Nobody in this thread said that they're '01 will never have the problem. Hell, I haven't had a lick of tranny trouble with my '01. Does that mean I'm defending Yamaha? Nope.

You need to lighten up...

Old 12-19-2001, 09:42 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I for one will not defend Yamaha for sending some of the 01 Raptors out the door with the faulty tranny.
Notice I posted "some"? Thats right, clearly all of the 01 Raptors do not have a tranny problem. If they did, "at least" the majority of Raptors sold would incur this problem. Yamaha needs to track down the faulty tranny Raptors and take care of this problem. Unfortunately, I think something drastic will have to happen before Yamaha does this.

Old 12-19-2001, 11:30 AM
Pro Rider

It would be nice to track down the famous "tranny" problem to a specific vendor, we have been lucky here in NM, none of us has encountered the problem, sn# in the 3000, 4000 (mine), 9000 range, and 2 others sn# unknown who ride together

Trending Topics

Old 12-19-2001, 09:06 PM
Pro Rider

raptor13 refered to it as the so called tranny problem.i dont think yamaha would have made such a large amount of changes to the tranny design if they thought the problem was a vender error or if they thought they had fixed the problem in the later production runs.i put on eight months of trail riding with no problems that i noticed.three days in the dunes and the thing started jumping out of second.hell if i wouldnt of went to the dunes it may have still been working fine to this day.im just saying that everyone knows theres a problem and just because someones 01 still works fine dont consider it a SO CALLED PROBLEM.i dont think yamaha will ever do anything about the defective 01s.alot of the guys that still have warranty are being told they have to pay to have theirs fixed because they abused it or didnt shift correctly ect.that is the same line they told my dealer.he went to bat for me and even though i was two months out of warranty they paid for the parts.ive worked for alot of car dealerships as a tech,if someone brought their car or truck in with the tranny out of it and you told them it wasnt under warranty because of abuse theyd go through the roof,chances are they wouldnt buy that brand next time either

Old 12-20-2001, 01:57 AM
Trailblazer

Are the dealers rebuilding the trannys back to stock specs? Are they fixing them for now only to have them screw up again?

Old 12-20-2001, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider

Look bub I have had NO problems with my tranny and thats what I stated. I talked to my dealer yesterday and asked him how many have they seen in for tranny problems. One the rider was power shifting continuously and admitted to it. By the way they are one of the top atv sellers in CT. SO don't get all high and mighty with me if I have a problem I will own up to it and fix it on my own. Believe me I wont need your F%*@ing help [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: raptor tranny's