Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Disconnet e-brake rev limiter on Wolverine????

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2001, 08:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need a little help on disconnecting the e-brake rev limiter...
I was riding this weekend and the engine starting to cut , finally figured out that it was e-brake rev limiter. If I jiggled it around
the engine would run fine,,
Also I rolled quad over in a mud hole, left side of handle bars was
covered with mud... turned key on and hit start button and nothing
I played around with it and got it to start. I took apart the assembly(lots of mud in there)
but did not take out started button yet... Can anyone tell me if this
button is removable??? or does it come preassembled from factory,
If i take it out will I be able to put I back in and be operational?I want to clean the contacts

thanks

Old 12-18-2001, 12:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think there is a cable in it...just cut the cable....I think....

Old 12-18-2001, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor has a similar setup. First thing i did was remove all that crap for the exact reason you created this post. when you do have an accident it's the first thing to go. Plus i have never used the e-brake.

so here's what you do:
go to your local Honda shop and purchase the the clutch lever and perch for a honda cr250 (rated the smoothest and easiest pull by dirt wheels)and a back off plate for the rear brake. with parts in hand remove the e-brake from the rear caliper and replace with back off plate. next start dismantling the stock e-lever/clutch&perch. follow the two wire harnesses (on the raptor it leads behind the radiator) one harness simply unplugs, the other has two wires that need to be unplugged (you can no remove the entire essembly) take the harness with the two wires in it, and plug them into one another.

Now, all you should have is the clutch cable dangling. install your new clutch and perch and hookup the clutch cable and adjust. your quad is now lighter, clutch pull is smoother and if you roll it. bend the bars back and ride.

NOTE: i have not performed this on a wolverine. but i have on a raptor and warrior. simply put the stock parts in a box. in case you decide to sell it later and they must have the e-brake. no wires cut. just simply plug it all back in. 1hour job.

Old 12-19-2001, 12:51 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Howdy,

First of all,I would not disconnect the rev limiter, Yamaha put it on because of all the 95 Wolverine owners frying their brakes and rotors riding with the parking brake on (I ended up warping my rotor,cooked the seals out of the caliper-new caliper,and went through a lot of pads) Idiots like me are why they added that rev limit. I have learned to always pump the brakes before I start it,to make sure the parking lock is off. If you never use it,then take it off, but the one time you ride and turn your rotor blue (the stock ones are junk),you might regret it.
Just my opinion,I wish I had the limiter,a lot cheaper than all the new parts it would have protected.

Old 12-19-2001, 08:04 AM
Pro Rider

Take all that stuff off you won't regret it ......it is nothing but junk anyway......took all that stuff off my 01 Wolverine and it is the best move I could have made. The brake did not work worth a darn anyway and the rev limiter is junk. Looks alot better without all that stuff on the handle bars also.

Old 12-19-2001, 08:31 AM
Pro Rider

If I just follow the wires , can I just simply unplug this????
I took the assembly apart and cleaned with contact cleaner and
oiled lever to no avail....I just want this thing off...

Thanks...

Old 12-19-2001, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, Just follow the two harnesses down (about 1.5-2ft). Both harnesses have connections midway through the harness. Harness one is a fitting that you just unplug ( fill the fitting with di-electric grease and shrink boot or tape it up ). Harness two should have two wires with butt connectors. unplug them. fill the connector ends with di-electric grease and plug the harness ends into each other.

I never trusted my e-brake when i had it. with all that stock crap gone you'll be able to mount some handguards without buying the adapters. Any clutch lever/perch will work. i just used the Honda as a good example. i have the Honda on the warrior and a Quick adjust (sweet) for the Raptor.

How do you like the wolverine? i was on the fence when we bought the Warrior. I wanted a ride for the wife (novice). yet, something i could unleash through our back yard trails, or to lend to a friend for the day. the 4x4 intrigues me.

anyway, good luck

Old 12-19-2001, 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

I feel that i made the right choice when i purchased my wolverine,
Little low on low end with big tires, but a few suggestions to the wife
for christmas will improve this area..
thanks for the info....

Old 12-19-2001, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

Hey wolverine51,
You should try getting some pics of your Wolverine up. I think I would have went for 25" sur tracks because you might find your bearings have to be changed more often then normal. Yamaha's are known for being hard on bearings and the bigger the tire, the harder it is on them.
My site

Old 12-19-2001, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

Will the CR clutch lever and perch work on the Wolverine to replace the facory rear hand brake? I know that the Wolverine lever is interchangable with a Worriors clutch lever so it should work. It is just performing a shorter pull on the brake.

Also- I used to run 25x10x12 Sur Tracs on all fours of my Wolverine and it would not turn them in deep mud. It also made the front end feel ALOT heavier, they did look good though. How are you guys running 25's and taller on your Wolvereins without loosing tons of power?

With that said, I would not trade my Wolverine for anything(except a YZ 426 Wolverine) it is strong from top to bottom and will outrun many larger displacement bikes. I have found that NO 4x4's today have the suspension capability of the Wolverine. I have ridden one with Works triple rates and it was unbelievable!

Quick Reply: Disconnet e-brake rev limiter on Wolverine????