Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

making the raptor equal to a piped shee?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2001, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, here's the dilemma. I have a raptor with a big gun slip on. I need to be equal or better to an FMF piped Shee in drags and close to it on top speed. I am hoping that a pro-flow kit with no airbox lid and dynojet can close the gap. Am I dreaming? Is my Slip on pipe up to the task? I've got a month or so to get ready but I dont wanna get roosted!

Old 12-19-2001, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

You should be pretty close. If your gonna be racing at the dunes then you'll probably beat him on the flats and he'll probably take you on the hills. It's pretty tough to make a Raptor run with a piped Shee up the hills. They just don't have the top end pull that a piped Shee has. At least this has been my experience.

Old 12-20-2001, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

you will have to spend a couple a bucks to keep up son...Hehe watch out for the rooooost.... Hehe gottcha. ooops Just Kidding, Have fun and ride it like like ya stole it... Ye-Haw

Old 12-20-2001, 09:54 AM
Elite Pro Rider

<< I am hoping that a pro-flow kit with no airbox lid and dynojet can close the gap >>

THat should close the gap considerably. I have a pro-flo, dynojet kit (tweaked, tested, and tuned perfect), timing key, p-bomb headpipe, air box lid on with the snorkle unrestricted, STOCK silencer /w baffle removed, and a 14 tooth front sprocket.
My bro' has a Fatty piped 00 'shee with a &quot;drag&quot; timing key (3.5 extra hp) with 300 mains and 32.5 pilots in conjunction with no lid. ANything over 60 degrees and he takes me be &quot;at-the-most&quot; 2 atv lengths through 150 (measured) yards. Under 60 degrees, and he gets spanked (of course, he is very slightly lean). Banshee guys don't assume I am getting a big jump on him upon pul-out. We are very close pulling out. His pulls effortless wheelies in 3rd gear and with a tug of the bars, does the same in 4th. Banshee guys know this is impressive.
When I add a silencer, I anticipate pulling that 2 lengths back and then some. Downsides......if someone sees me, they will have to scream for me to hear them. This is why I have'nt upgraded to an aftermarket silencer for the thumper already.

Old 12-20-2001, 11:13 AM
Trailblazer

How come all the raptor owners say it will hang or beat shee but the one shee owner to reply just chuckles???

Just wondering!

I say pul everything you can on it and go racing see what happens, run whatcha brung then guy buy a bottle.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-20-2001, 11:22 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Actually, I used to own his Banshee 'till he bought it from me. The pipes did make a dramatic difference (before the pipes, he was taking a beating for 10+ atv lengths at the beforementioned 150 yard area). I am definately not anti-Banshee. I ride the Banshee as much as my Raptor when we trail ride and it's a blast. If I bought another atv or the Raptor tranny takes a dump, my next atv will be a Banshee. Facts are facts though.....take it for what you will. Later guys.

Old 12-20-2001, 11:34 AM
Trailblazer

I didn't mean to come like I was ripping anyone, it was meant as a joke. But it just seems like a lot of people on the boards read all about what dirt wheels says is the top for each bike blah, blah and nobody every goes out and just races....

For example everyone I talked said my scrambler 500 was slow and would get wham plasted by a 400 EX so I went out and raced 3 beat all three in a 150 yard dash, so just go racing the raptor is an awesome bike, I love they way it looks!

How much money does it take to make it beat banshee that bad? If you don't mind me asking?

I have a guy with a big gun that wants to run me, I have to wait till the toomey's get here but I would like an idea....

Old 12-20-2001, 11:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

One thing about the net is it's tough to joke around. I get into that jam all the time.
My current mods are listed earlier in this thread.
If your bud is'nt jetted correct, he could easily be slower than stock. Jetting is KEY. Try him out and see how you fare stock. Then you will have a good baseline for the aftermarket pipes. If you get the Toomeys, don't go the slightly cheaper route.....get the kit with the correct jets and the needles.

Old 12-20-2001, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider

Just for reference sake with my Raptor being stock I just plain killed a stock shee on the beach. Later the same day a guy with a shee he said was stock beat me by at least 5 quad lengths in about 200 yards. I do know it had stock pipes but it had to have something done to it?? I figure a swingarm extension would be at least as helpful as motor mods in drags simply because I cant get into the throttle all that hard off the line without a loop out. Anyone here have a longer swingarm? Is it much help in drag racing?

Old 12-20-2001, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

See that's odd. How can a stock to stock raptor beat a shee that bad? I mean lets face it raptor/banshee stock to stock are pretty dam close, in fact so close it will depend on the drivers ability even in a drag.

Either way your races could have been true, maybe the first shee couldn't launch or shift or just plain was out of tune. Maybe the second wasn't stock, maybe it was and he knew how to drive??? Who knows, who cares, your 1-1 againsts the king of current 2 strokers, not a bad record!

Quick Reply: making the raptor equal to a piped shee?