Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee gearing and fuel mix?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2001, 02:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Merry Christmas to all!
I recently purchased a 99 banshee in almost new condition {14hrs ride time on it}, but had a few questions about it since it is my first 4 wheeler i've ever owned. I've ridden dirt bikes for years but there only seasonal and not much fun in the snow. I read the manuel on this banshee and it says to mix the fuel 20:1. i used to mix my bikes at 50:1, it seems that 20:1 is pretty rich and would foul plugs very easily. i mxed a batch at 32:1 and rode over the weekend and it seemed like a good mix but i don't want to damage the bike so any info will be helpful. Also the bike is mostly stock except for the rear wheels which have been replaced with ITP wheels and at 22x12-9 mud machine tires. I know these are much bigger than stock tires and i've noticed that the clutch and throttle must be feathered out quite a bit to take off. I do a lot of trail riding and found that i was either nailing the throttle wide open or stopped period. i found this to happen mostly when climbing hills. My question is , is there any sprocket changes i can do to fix this or at least help it. the sprockets are the original ones.any help is good help.....teebone

Old 12-25-2001, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer

32to one is a good ratio to mix at.you could change your front sprocket to a 13 and it will give you alot more bottom end.Check out www.bansheehq.com
its all banshees all the time-jack

Old 12-26-2001, 01:30 AM
Trailblazer

I have a '98 banshee and it is still on the stock motor! 3 years old almost 4! I have raced mx and ride almost every weekend. The secret (well not so secret[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]) to a long lasting banshee motor is the air filter. You should replace the stock as soon as possible with a Pro-Flow filter system by PRO-DESIGN. Keep the filter well oiled and clean and you should be worry free for a long time. I have always favored KLOTZ supertechniplate 2-cycle oil. I mix mine 40 to 1 and it runs great and protects your engine better than any oil i have ever used. SMELLS good too! I think the banshee is the most reliable 2 stroke atv motor available. They just seem to last longer than single piston 250cc atvs. Get the pro-flow system MAN! NOW!