Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MX

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 11:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone here race their raptor? If so have you had any success against the banshees and 250r's? I am just asking, because i'm not sure if i should buy a raptor or a 250r. thx.

Old 01-01-2002, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

From all the races I've been to the two strokes and four strokes run in different classes. You usualy have a two stroke open and four stroke open.
If you have raced before, go with what you are use to, two or four strokes.
I've run two strokes all my life and now have a four stroke, it hasn't been easy learning how to use the tourque of the four stroke topping out at 6000 rpm compare to the mid range rush of a two stroke and topping out were you come so close to hand granading the engine.
But your question is a very hard one!!

Old 01-02-2002, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

I have yet to see a Raptor do good in a race. Not sayin the Raptors aren't good, but so far everyone I've seen on a Raptor couldn't ride. You know a 250R is good or it wouldn't be the most widely used quad in mx, but I'm guessing you don't like the idea of buying a 12... 13 year old quad. That is the reason I decided to buy a Cannondale and like gaff said, it is kinda hard goin from a 2-stroke to a 4-stroke and from a 4 to a 2 and being competitive without a lot of practice. I rode lonestarbanshee's banshee and I don't think I could do good at all with it on the track because I have trouble knowing where in the RPM range I should be (In other words, "I just throw it off the clutch, hit full throttle, and spin through all 6 gears while barely even movin) [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I'm still sorry about your driveway lonestar. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 01-02-2002, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

I wouldnt count out the cannondale either. good thinking yodaddy

Old 01-02-2002, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

I raced my raptor against big bore 250r's, banshees, 400ex's, and they are just as competitive. There isn't enough riders here to seperate the classes so you can race what ever you want. In my first race I was second on the holeshot(banshee beat me by a quad length) and finished first with a fourteen rider gate. The second race I pulled the holeshot but crashed on the second lap while in the lead. Raptors are great out of the corners because they hook up instead of spin. They give away nothing on the track except riding through the whoops. The high center of gravity is a little more difficult to control than the others. Either choice you won't go wrong.

Old 01-02-2002, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

If your realy into racing, find some thing that fits you.
The raptor is a very extremely fast and powerfull quad, but they can and have been beat. Rider ability is every thing.
Take me, I ride a lakota, don't laugh I do pretty good.
I also have seen a moded recon reak havoc on all of us, it's the rider by far!!

I'm trying to get set up for cross country and practicing in some tuff sandy tracks, two strokes can't hang on this trck the raptors rule here, but not as far as you would believe looking at dyno sheets.

Man thiers just so many set ups for so many tracks.