Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly too big??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2002, 08:39 PM
T27
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, new in here. I'm in the market for a new toy. Will be used mainly for trail riding/ hunting down here in the South. I have pretty much narrowed my choices down to either the Grizz or the Kodiak. I'm not that concerned with top speed,( I have my KX for that!)but prefer pure grunt. I went by a local Yamaha dealer yesterday to get a closer look at the two and am a little concerned with the extra size of the Grizz. We have lots of vines and stuff down here in La. and don't want to spend all my time getting untangled from their grasp. So my question for you guys is, how does the Grizzly compare to the Kodiak in terms of manuverability, trail manners, etc. I don't want to feel like I'm driving a mini- truck in the woods, but I really like the Grizzly's features, IRS, selectable front diff, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Old 01-09-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

T27~

I own both machines, an '02 Grizz and an '02 Kodiak. Both are excellent quads and will provide you with anything you're looking for in a 4X4 ATV. The difference being size, power, ground clearance and ride. (Hmm that about covers everything, doesn't it? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img])

The Grizz is bigger, but is surprisingly good and fun in tight trails. The Kodiak is simply unbelievably nimble in tight trails. The Grizz will give you a smoother ride over rough terrain, will get you more places with ground clearance and IRS, and usually get you there faster if need be. I wouldn't be too concerned with vines wrapping the grizz up, you will have the power to get yourself untangled from about anything. It's a hard call, and really up to the rider and the places you ride. My wife wouldn't ride my Grizz unless she had too, but loves the Kodiak, and I've seen here take it places in snow easier than some of the Big Bore boys she was riding with.

If I were you, I would seriously try and test ride both machines, because both are very good, but fit different types of riders.

Hope this helps....

SilverBear

Old 01-09-2002, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

where at in La? I am in New Orleans area. I am hoping to get a Grizz in a few months. Got a Wolvy now.

what dealer you been talking to?

Old 01-09-2002, 07:22 AM
T27
Weekend Warrior

Kraw, I'm in Baton Rouge. I went by Greenwell Springs Marine, didn't really talk to anyone there yet, just wanted to get a good look at 'em side by side.

Old 01-09-2002, 07:46 AM
Trailblazer

i had both go with the grizz. handle about the same . if you have the extra bucks. otherwise the kodiak works real well too. the kodiak is a little lighter but i needed to lift mine because i would get stuck more then i did on my big bear. has little less clearance then the big bear.take longer for the grizz to be out dated with the extra features. and with the clearance and the motor there is really no need for mods.

Old 01-09-2002, 07:51 AM
Pro Rider

well hello fellow louisiana guys, gray is part of houma.
I ride the spill way in norco every week I'm off (work 7/7) and will be at the gonzales mx track on the 12th practicing.
On the 12th they are shutting down the left side of the road at the spill way except for the moto track and a couple trails, the right side of the road will be open and I understand it is slapp full of trails.
Well any one want to go on a ride let me know I'm always game!!!!

About the quads, you won't go wrong with either, but try and test ride some to know what you want.
I also understand the prairie is nice also, but also big.
I do note that most poeple ride ranchers and bayou's and kodiaks, not realy sure why probably a price thing.
Well good luck and like to see some ole louisiana (conn @sses down here) boys coming up!!

Old 01-09-2002, 06:09 PM
Trailblazer

If your going to be heading thru some deep mud and hauling heavy loads, than go with the grizz. the diff. lock will help out in both. the kodiak is concidered by many to be a little sportier, and more nimble. The kodiak has atv of the year three times in a row behind it, although i am wondering what the new grizz could bring in.

Old 01-09-2002, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

atv of the year in 2001 was the rubicon.

Old 01-09-2002, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

The size of the Griz is the one thing that holds me back from getting one. I can tell you the Kodiak is great for hunting. By that I mean dragging deer out which is all I use mine for when hunting. I've dragged big dear over stumps, small tress, etc.while going up tight, steep mountains and it never missed a lick. Low range is killer but you can ride it in high unless heavy towing.

Old 01-10-2002, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

<< well hello fellow louisiana guys, gray is part of houma.
I ride the spill way in norco every week I'm off (work 7/7) and will be at the gonzales mx track on the 12th practicing.
On the 12th they are shutting down the left side of the road at the spill way except for the moto track and a couple trails, the right side of the road will be open and I understand it is slapp full of trails.
Well any one want to go on a ride let me know I'm always game!!!!

About the quads, you won't go wrong with either, but try and test ride some to know what you want.
I also understand the prairie is nice also, but also big.
I do note that most poeple ride ranchers and bayou's and kodiaks, not realy sure why probably a price thing.
Well good luck and like to see some ole louisiana (conn @sses down here) boys coming up!!
>>

you refering to the Bonnet Carre (sp) spillway? I went out there in a jeep, but didn't see any ATV's. I think you have to wear a helmet now, don't ya?

I will be game for a ride when I get the new bike. I keep my Wolvy at my parent's place over in west La. so I don't have anything here.

Quick Reply: Grizzly too big??