Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Y2K Kodiak Jetting

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2000, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,
I looked at the spark plug on my 10 hours old machine and it is snow white. I live in Norther Georgia. Not real high or low. Tha average temp is 50 degrees now. The machine was not shut down Immediately after a hi speed run, as I have heard that this is the way to do it.
I would like to learn the method for jetting according to Spark plug reading. And what is the best way to shut this Auto Tranny unit down if a hi speed run is required? Just hit the Cut off switch and coast to a stop and read the Plug??

Thanks, therock

Old 02-13-2000, 10:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey therock, I don't own an ATV yet but I am expecting to pick up my new Kodiak this week.

In regards to your issue with the white plug. I have owned snowmobiles for 12 years and we check the plugs on these high performance machines from time to time to make sure the jetting is correct. Keeping in mind that these are two strokes versus the kodiaks four stroke. The way we check them is to find a long straight away and hold it open for the length of the straight at least 20 to 30 seconds. We then coast to a stop and shut the machine down and check the plugs. Looking for a nice toasty brown color. If you don't have the opportunity for a long straight away, you could possibly put the Kodiak on a crate and hold it wide open for 10 or 15 seconds and then check the plug.

I share your comcerns for the white plug, this means it is running way too lean. You may need to re-jet the main jet or adjust the needle jet to get to the proper mixture.

Good luck

Old 02-13-2000, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey therock, I don't own an ATV yet but I am expecting to pick up my new Kodiak this week.

In regards to your issue with the white plug. I have owned snowmobiles for 12 years and we check the plugs on these high performance machines from time to time to make sure the jetting is correct. Keeping in mind that these are two strokes versus the kodiaks four stroke. The way we check them is to find a long straight away and hold it open for the length of the straight at least 20 to 30 seconds. We then coast to a stop and shut the machine down and check the plugs. Looking for a nice toasty brown color. If you don't have the opportunity for a long straight away, you could possibly put the Kodiak on a crate and hold it wide open for 10 or 15 seconds and then check the plug.

I share your comcerns for the white plug, this means it is running way too lean. You may need to re-jet the main jet or adjust the needle jet to get to the proper mixture.

Good luck