Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine problem......

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2002, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2001 Wolverine, all stock. I`ve never had a problem with it till today. Was out in a field of snow playing around when it just died. Starts right up and will idle fine but past about 1/4 throttle it acts like it no longer gets any gas. It is not the parking brake. can someone tell me what to do to clean out the carb or the jet that is dirty? Thought maybe someone had this problem before. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2002, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like something has plugged the main jet up.

Old 02-06-2002, 02:47 AM
Trailblazer

Thats what I`m thinking too. Does someone know the easiest way to clean it out and do I have to remove the carb? I am ready to start modding this thing so I`ll be posting more. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-06-2002, 06:23 AM
Pro Rider

check your airfilter. when i ride my 95 wolverine when it is snowing it sucks snow in ,thus wettng the filter. its happend to me a few times

Old 02-06-2002, 08:25 AM
Range Rover

Drain the float bowl while your at it.

Old 02-06-2002, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

Removing the main jet is easy. Take off the carb (leave the throttle cable hooked up) and then remove the bowl on the bottom of the carb. When you have that off you'll see the main jet. Remove that with a flat top screw driver and look to see if there's any dirt in it. It doesn't take very much dirt to cause a problem.

If you think you're going to be in the card very often you might as well change the screws for the bowl to Allen head screws now, as teh phillips head screws will eventually get stripped out.

Old 02-06-2002, 11:55 AM
Range Rover

I WOULD DRAIN THE FLOAT BOWL AND CLEAN THE AIR FILTER THEN SEE IF IT STILL WON'T RUN RIGHT. I'VE FOUND THAT A LITTLE MOISTURE IN THE CARB WILL CAUSE IT TO NOT REV. IF THAT DOESN'T WORK, THEN TEAR INTO THE CARB. BUT THATS JUST MY LARD BUTT OPINION!!

Old 02-06-2002, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Check your vent hoses to the carburator. You might have something in there. The guy that does a lot of work on mine put a little inline filter on the end. He told me if it ever acted like it is not getting fuel pull the filter off and if it runs the filter on the end of the tube was plugged then put on a new filter when I get back. He told me that he was surprised that had not happen to me already when he seen I was just running the vent like it was stock. The hoses are located right by the air intake snorkel under the seat. Trace down the one that goes into the carburetor. That rubber piece holds and traps dirt and debris he took that out also and said if I do a lot of mud riding tape the hole off with duck tape and that should help keep stuff out of the snorkel. I hope this helps you out.

Old 02-06-2002, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

Before you go ripping apart the carb, start the bike up ,,give it a little thottle, right to where it breaks up and hold it there,, now
either push-in or wiggle the connecting arm on the rear hand brake,
the parking brake has a rev limiter on it. It should clear this up. I was riding mine and it
started to cut out about 1/4 throttle like it was not getting any gas.
I reached up and pushed parking brake lever in and ran good again.,,,
your quad thinks that the parking brake is on.....try it... My brake
was not on either, I over looked for about an hour,,,

Old 02-06-2002, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

THe easier way to check if it's the parking brake is to disconnect the spark intrupter, which is a small white plug under the left front fender. Once that's unplugged you can have the park brake on and it will rev out like normal.

As lakotasport said clearly that it wasn't his park brake I assume that he's done this.

Quick Reply: wolverine problem......