Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear or Kodiak?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2002 | 03:40 PM
Pro Rider

Differences I noticed today while at the dealership.

The tires are different. Kodiak has better stock tires in my opinion.

Kodiak has full floorboards that connect to the front fenders. The Big Bears have plastic flaps that extend down. Not sure how these will hold up if you cross over many large logs.

Kodiak looks better due to closed in plastic as a result of being liquid cooled. The Big Bear is very open.

Low range is key if you plan to haul dirt, etc. around the yard.

Kodiak is fully automatic as others have stated.

I own a Kodiak and have to agree that it is a very sporty utility quad. Put ITP steel rims up front to widen the stance 2" and it is that much better.

/NotuRaptor

Old 05-10-2002 | 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

I'd go with the Kodiak. I'm on my second Kodiak and will keep my new one until they upgrade the current style. Hopefully the next Kodiak will have Independant rear suspension. I love the drive and power quality of the 02 Kodiak. One thing to keep in mind though is the body roll of the stock tires.

P.S If I had to purchase a new ATV right now I'd get the Kodiak.

Good Luck and Happy shopping.

Old 05-10-2002 | 07:36 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

If I was to buy my wife a quad and didn't buy her a Rubicon, it would most definatly be a Kodiak. It a great peice of equipment and great to ride. It is definatly worth the extra $1000. If you buy the BB and she is not happy, you just waisted $4900, if you buy the Kodiak and she thinks the BB would have been OK, you only waisted $1000, save the $4000 and get her the Kodiak. Easy choice. A friend of mines wife just bought a 500 Magnum and she loves it. She says it is really nice to ride and her husband says it doesn't have all the grease zerks his Sportsman has.

Have fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-11-2002 | 02:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Down here the Kodiaks just got 900 marked off the price because of Yamahas new 4x4. You can pick one up for $5,000. So the price wouldn't be much different maybe just wait if they aren't cheaper there yet.

Old 05-11-2002 | 02:26 AM
Range Rover

Agree with you on the power. I have an '00 Kodiak and I've spent some time on and '01 Big Bear and I'd say the Kodiak has alot more power, especially at speeds over about 15mph. The Big Bear *feels* more powerful in low gear due to the super low 1st gear, but if you put the Kodiak in LOW you get the same high torque feel as the Big Bear. I don't have anything negative to say about either machine-both are great in their own regards.

Old 05-19-2002 | 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have both, a 2000 BB and a 2001 kodiak. I turned the BB over to my wife. I know the 2000 doesn't have switchable 2-4WD but this works out well for my wife. Its a no brainer for her in the mud. We had a 97 King Quad 300 and by the time she figured out which lever on the tank to engage she was buried. Guess who had to get her out? I say save your money and get the BB for your wife because if she is like mine she doesn't charge or ride hard like I do on the Kodiak. I have a dyno jet kit in the BB and it's about as quick until I run out of gearing as the Kodiak is stock. My top speed on the BB is around 46mph and that's with 5.5 lbs of air in the stock tires. Top speed on my kodiak is about 55. As far as handling I really don't see that much difference between the two. I have been a rider and racer for years and there's really only small differences between these 2 machines. I will say that the Kodiak is a little better all the way around but not worth the $1000.00 extra if a wife or girl friend is going to ride it. So if you have money to burn get the Kodiak, if not get the BB

Old 03-12-2003 | 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
Default Big Bear or Kodiak?

dfinetly the kodiak. i have had mine for 2 years and i wouldnt trade it for anything accept a new z400.

Old 03-30-2003 | 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

whoever said the big bear has front drum brakes is WRONG, well atleast the 2003 and im pretty sure the 2002 have discs on front, also my plastic has held up quite well and i dont baby my bear! I got the bear over the kodiak for mainly two reasons, huge price difference and I dont like autos because if you get water in them I heard they really suck but I have no experience with that nor did I want any [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and if you want to haul dirt around dont say the big bear cant do it because it will! let me tell yolu some things I haul: the first heavy load i hauled was a hyundi car with a partial seized tranny so the front tires didnt like to roll and I towed that up my drive way which has a slight up hill angle to it, my most recent HEAVY load wasnt me towing but me pushing a 1987 GMC sierra 1/2 ton fullsize pickup up the same driveway, the big bear is really a beast! Im not saying the kodiak isnt but I just want to get my point across that the big bear will do ALOT for the 386cc two valve engine with no low range

Old 03-30-2003 | 10:20 PM
jdm
Trailblazer

My 2000 Big Bear has front disc brakes also. The Big Bear has a true "Utility" feel to it, a very durable & capable work horse.
Since I have bought my 450 Kodiak I rarely ride my Big Bear. My wife prefers the Kodiak when we go riding, but so do I.
I love the auto, very little heat on the legs, nimble handling. I can't think of anything about the Kodiak 450 I don't love.
Ride them both & decide what YOU like.
Good Luck