Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor reliability? Banshee content also

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well like I said before they are really both good machines, but they both have there pros and cons. As far as claiming the banshee has no bottom end. I think that is a little overshadowed by the fact that it depends on whats on it. If you really want bottom end on a banshee, try a 2 into 1 carb, and a dyno port pipe, and you wont believe the difference it makes in the bottom end. My banshee runs simple Bills pipes with a 2 into 1 and I would bet that it has just as much bottom end as my tricked former 250r had. Thats the thing with banshees they are vary versatile and you can build one vary easily for almost any environment or terrain. Another piece of advice you may want to consider. I bought my 96 banshee for about 4500.00 and it had almost every mod I could want on it. I would seriously doubt you would find any raptor pushing even close to the type of performance I get out of my banshee, for even close to the same price. With 110 octane gas I'm probably pushing close to high 60's low 70's in hp depending on air temp and altitude. And I have seen a few even more radicle banshees. If your friends were running stock banshee carbs, and just pipes and filters chances are they probably didn't have much bottom end depending on what pipe they had. I know that Toomey's for example will pretty much add nothing to bottom end but make the top end absolutely scream. The SST's and CPI's are also good. So really it all depends on what you want to do with your quad. But, just simple things on a banshee can make a night and day difference. Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2002, 11:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Have you ever rode a Raptor? It will smoke your 400ex easily and even before any mods I beat every stock Banshee that ever challanged me. Fixed up banshees are a whole new ballgame. Ive never had any problems with my 2001. Either bike will be a power improvment over your 400ex.

Old 02-18-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

get what you want, you can make a banshee work where ever if you want.

Old 02-18-2002, 11:43 PM
Range Rover

Well I'm definetely going to hafta think about this one out for a few weeks. Just not sure yet. ON the banshee, as far as your "proper maintanence", tell me more about this. How often do top ends need rebuilt, anything else need rebuilt usually? Common problems is what im asking as well. I just dont want to go from my super reliable 4 stroke, to something i need to wrench on, you know what i mean? Im going to have to learn how to rebuild the motor also, that wont take much though. As far as you banshee owners, i myself am a get on the bike and go type of person, but i certainly take better than great care of any bike i've had. It's always clean and well lubed.

Im looking at about a big dollar difference for the raptor, Im wondering how justified it will be. I DO certainly want a lot more power than my 400EX, otherwise I wouldnt consider a new bike. I dont have the option to go and test drive a raptor, none really around except in shops.

Now, say in a few months, if I did in fact buy the banshee. What would you do to make it a really useful machine in the woods? Just curious. I really like to find little fun areas and just mess around a lot. I imagine the FMF pipes?

Old 02-18-2002, 11:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Banshee will work fine in the woods. You'll just have to learn to use the clutch while riding. You'll learn that in no time if you don't already know.

Old 02-18-2002, 11:56 PM
Range Rover

One thing I want to add about the Raptor, to keep it fair. Say if you wanted to put a pipe and jet kit on it, how much is that, approxmiately? I set out to get a Banshee at first, now im swayed between the two, lol!!! Decisions decisions.

Old 02-19-2002, 12:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

$349.00 for the Alba kit with jets. $400-$600 for others. Less than a pipe kit for a Banshee. One more thing. Raptors list for $6499.00 Banshees list for $5999.00. $500.00 is not that much. I bought my Raptor for $5900.00 +tax. Check into www.albaaction.com they sell Raptors and Banshees for list price with pipe kits, proflo K&N or foam, and graphics. Wish i'd have known that when i bought mine. Of course getting it to you might be somthing else.

Old 02-19-2002, 07:27 AM
Pro Rider

Really I ride with hopped up shee's, 250r's,lt's with no problem and ex's need to be hopped up just to keep up with a stock raptor. All that I have done is silencer,jet kit and filter kit. Maybe it was the rider.

Old 02-19-2002, 07:29 AM
Pro Rider

The GYT-R jet kit is the same as the kit K&N sells. Its a dynojet kit.

Old 02-19-2002, 09:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A front sprocket change on the banshee will help the bottom end out quite a bit. I run a 12 tooth, stock iu 14, but i do some hill climbing. Probably going to go with a 13 soon.

As far as maintenance, for me I am doing quite a bit on my banshee, but thats just too get it running at its peak, if possible. If it werent for that, really just cleaning the air filter and lubing the chassis should be about it. I may do a rebuild of the top end this summer, not because it needs it, just want to freshen it up. ITs a 99 and I ride it hard, rev it to the moon, basically show no mercy and it keeps coming back for more. I have riddin a Raptor, and although nice, like someone mentioned above, you really are probably going to have to do some suspension upgrades. I cant believe that it is so tall, but dimension wise, its smaller than a 400ex. Ive seen a couple of people tip over in turns for that reason alone. I rode it for like 2 minutes and gave it back. JUst does not have that awesome power hit the banshee does, and thats half the fun, hitting the powerband and hearing that sucker scream!!!(oh yea, and holding on!!!)

No this is just my opinion, but if I were in the market for a 4 stroke sort quad, id take a look at the DS 650. Those suckers a re solid!

RoostKing...

RoostKing...

Quick Reply: Raptor reliability? Banshee content also