Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CONCERNED DEALER AND ATV RIDER

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 07:32 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said wurm250.

The thing is that most of the guys that have been arguing this for the past 6 months are not even Raptor owners. And of the ones that are, only a few have actually HAD a transmission failure.

This was prooved in a topic a few months back.

I also agree with EVERYTHING that Larry said in his origianl post.

KNOWSALOT

Old 02-20-2002, 07:33 PM
RIP Dear Friend

cvyamaha,
I like my Raptor even when its stored in the garage for the winter. I just wish DONELSON CYCLES was a little closer for my next purchase.
CHET

Old 02-20-2002, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE,THE REASON WE ARE IN THIS SPORT IS TO HAVE FUN,LAWSUITS AND THE CPSC ARE NOT.WHEN PEOPLE HAVE ISSUE"S THEY CAN USUALLY BE RESOLVED AND TAKEN CARE OF.I HAVE BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS 17 YEARS ,RACED PROMOTED RACES AND PARTICIPATED IN EVENTS AND I CARE ABOUT OUR SPORT AS MUCH AS ANYONE ,IF I WAS CONCERNED ABOUT SOMEONE CALLING ME OR MY BOSS I WOULD NOT HAVE PUT MY NUMBER OUT,THAT"S NOT THE ISSUE ,IF THERE IS TO BE A RECALL I WOULD BE THERE TO TAKE CARE OF IT .TILL WE TALK AGAIN,LARRY.

LETS GO RIDING

Old 02-20-2002, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

My Raptor tranny broke after 1 yr
luckly I had the warrenty my dealer
which is very good fixed it no problem
BUT I asked if they would upgrade the gears
so it wouldn't happen agian (going over the bars
is no fun when it locks up)he said he would
ask yamaha well of couse yamaha said there
is no problem with the 01 gears so they would
only fix it with the 01 parts so now I wonder when
do I go flying over the bars agian in 1 yr
or 21/2yrs when my warrenty wears out than if
I don't get hurt or worst I am stuck with a
broken bike because of the bad design
I'm a mold maker and I know weak parts when
I see them NOW DO YOU HEAR WHAT I'M SAYING!!!!!!!

Old 02-20-2002, 08:36 PM
The Facility

Yeah redrocker,..we hear what you are saying.

You had your transmission fixed. Now it's not broke.

You say you wanted 'stronger" '02 gears installed. One problem...Yamaha never said the '02 gears were stronger. Just two magazines and an egine builder.

So...what you really want is the '02 gear ratios. Correct??
What next? You want the subframe too??

More, more, more. Grow up and accept life. If you aren't happy with your machine and don't feel safe while riding it, then buy another brand. stop causing trouble for everyone else. There have been no reports of death due to these "alleged" transmission problems. As far as injuries,..you stand a better chance of getting hurt while goofing off than you would from your trans. locking up. And don't say that you don't goof off. No one buys a Raptor unless they plan to show their @$$ at some point.It's just a matter of time.

Take your issues up with Yamaha direct and leave the CPSC out of the picture.

If the Raptor gets "competition use only" status for '04..[and it will]...that will finally end all you whiners from wanting more and more and face the fact that a performance machine is made for performance riding and that it WILL fail underr the pressure. It's for riding hard and breaking things....Not bullet proof and to check fences.

KNOWSALOT

Old 02-20-2002, 09:14 PM
Pro Rider

Aren't YZ125 and YZ250s put out under "competition only"? Hmm.. why are they under recall notices right now? (All 96-01 models)

Seems that doesn't solve the S A F E T Y issue.. hello.. are you reading those 6 letters?

*MY* only issue is that I feel the tranny is not safe. I've personally talked with to many people that have failed transmissions, and some of them have gotten hurt when the trannys locked!

wurm250, did you break the tranny? or did it break? How many banshee trannys have broke (within the first year no less? I have heard of 1 banshee tranny locking up, and it was 11 years old. I have 17 peoples names in front of me with 01 raptor trannys that have failed. 17! Count the 2 that larry fixed, ok, we're talking at least 19 people that I know of. Unacceptable. Flat out dangerous!

If you really don't think theres a safety issue, I'm sure the CPSC won't either, right? So what are you worried about? It's not really a safety issue, I'm sure they are going to end up agreeing with you, you have nothing to worry about (so much sarcasim), but it is our RIGHT to tell them we think it's unsafe.

On the comment of the subframe, that's frigin stupid knowsalot. I haven't bitched about my subframe, different shock, or anything else. I want a SAFE quad period. If it doesn't have to do with safety, I could care less, but *I* truly believe the transmission is a safety issue, and I will pursue it as far and as long as I can.

Wurm250, one last question.. when you go out riding next time, and your shifting hard into second gear, as you're about to go up or down a hill, will you NOT worry that the tranny might lock and toss you over the bars and into a tree? Think about those weak 01 gears they put RIGHT BACK IN YOUR QUAD. Nothings fixed, nothings changed. (unless YOU paid $800 for fortin forged gears)

I'm done with this ignorant thread..
I have way to much proof to think there isn't a problem.
I'm just pushing it to the CPSC now that yamaha is refusing to do anything..

PS.. maybe if someone YOU loved was killed in a ford/firestone explorer.. you'd feel a litte different? REmember, ford/firestone said for YEARS and YEARS that combo was safe!

Old 02-20-2002, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

I CAN'T believe there are two shop owners on here saying stuff like ARE YOU PEOPLE SO SIMPLE MINDED and ALL OF YOU LAWSUIT HAPPY WIMPS My opinion of both of you has just drooped tremendously, and I hope your customers see this post.

As for the rest of the post. I have had the tranny problem twice. both at about 6-7 months apart. Now let me point out a few facts that you guys aren't taking into consideration. I have dealt with my dealer for 18 years, and ridden with the owner and manager on many occasions. I have had many other sport quads, And not one other tranny problem. When I had the first failure I took it to my dealer without much problem. I also called Yamaha to let them know of the problem. (with no luck of talking to anyone that matters.) I had a few more problems before the second tranny failure. And decided to sit down and talk things over with my dealer. Being that we all knew each other well I figured I might be able to get an upgrade or something along those lines. Well all I got was some sales talk about Yamaha not going good for it, so he had to, and there was no difference in the gears other then the ratios, and if it happened again it wouldn't be covered. I didn't agree and he told me ( just as you guys have said ) to call Yamaha and talk it over with them !! Have either of you ever tried to call Yamaha as a normal Joe Shmo? I have since got the 02 gears and there is 4 dogs instead of 3 on the gears, now this in my mind has to be stronger considering the dogs is what breaks.!!

If this is what I got from someone I have dealt with forever and know don't you think some of these other guys have legitimate gripes!! I hope you can see the point I'm trying to make. You may stand behind your machine but how much did you slam the guy while doing it? I know my dealer mad me feel an inch high after talking with him when I did nothing wrong !!! Most of us with a Raptor have had other high performance quads. THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK !!!

Old 02-20-2002, 11:05 PM
Range Rover

"EVERY ONE COMPLAINS ABOUT NOT HAVING MORE SPORT ATV"S AND IT IS PEOPLE LIKE ALL OF YOU LAWSUIT HAPPY WIMPS THAT WILL NOT SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL DEALER ,SHOP MAIL ORDER AND THEN COMPLAIN TO YOUR LOCAL DEALER WHEN SOMETHING IS WRONG.THE FACT THAT ANY MEDIA OUTLET ,FORUM ,MAGAZINE,OR WOULD PRINT CRAZY IDEAS ABOUT RECALLS AND LAWSUITS SHOULD BE BLACKBALLED."

OK, well let me start off with a few things. First, the local dealer bullcrap. Maybe if you "local" dealers would be reasonable with your prices, rather than jack them up to full suggested retail, then being cocky to everyone about how you wont move on the price, who wants to buy local? Not I, and a lot of other folks. Dealers that are local around here would never get my business, and 90% of the riders around here wont consider a local buy either. When local dealers can be reasonable, helpful, and not so full of shat, maybe we'll talk. When I walk into a dealership, I do not expect the line of bs such as "yes this banshee here will do 110 with a pipe" or "you want to take it home today?" five seconds after i walk in the door. Next is the service warranties, if its a yamaha, and its got a warranty, ya better take good care of it. This is just not one store, this is MANY stores that I know. Very few good stores around. Good example is when I went to go buy a new honda 400EX when they were selling like hotcakes. Called up some local places to see if they HAD one, cuz i'd go buy it. A shop in Salem, ohio had one, but told me they just got these from canada, and the price went up to 5899, can you say price gouging??

If someone wants to complain about a recall, they have the right to do so. If you build a high priced quad, and there are lots of folks around the world who are having trouble with the same thing, and yours is just a matter of time, then it better have a recall. They have every right to print it. Maybe it gets the idea around. Such as the Raptor with the tranny problem alone, it should be recalled and fixed. Do you as a Yamaha dealer just want to make a few more bucks or something? If your anything like the local dealers here, you'd be drooling all over the opportunity. Hopefully this is not the case for you.

Old 02-20-2002, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

<< I have since got the 02 gears and there is 4 dogs instead of 3 on the gears, now this in my mind has to be stronger considering the dogs is what breaks.!!
>>

Would love to hear what you had to change to do this.. my understanding was the 01 tranny shafts were different sized than the 02, which would require basically an entire trans swap out???

For people wanting more info on this issue... here is another great site to read.. and yes I am raptorbrad

Old 02-20-2002, 11:10 PM
The Facility

I do see your point. I also see the points made here over the past few months from other owner's of the '01 Raptor.

If so many people are being hurt, then why has the CPSC not already acted? Most recalls are based from just one or two incidents.

Whatever the outcome,..I just hope it doesn't have any negative effects on the industry being that this is a sportquad and not a utility model, which are usually prone to these kinds of things.

I'm not taking up for Yamaha. I'm not brand loyal by any means. Hell,..as far as my job is concerned,..I would make a killing if Yamaha had a mass recall of '01 Raptor transmissions.

As I now end my final post on the topic,...I just hope this whole thing doesn't have a negative impact on the sport quad industry. The last thing we need is another 20/20 episode reminescent of 1986.

KNOWSALOT

Quick Reply: CONCERNED DEALER AND ATV RIDER