Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Question for Trinity 686 kit owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2002, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sandraptor,

I am very concerned about your post on this site concerning your perception of good or bad service from my Company. If you felt that you did not receive appropriate customer service, you could have asked to speak with me directly. With that said, please consider the following:

Accurate jetting is very difficult for a shop to determine especially when you consider all of the possible variables that influence the outcome. For example, altitude, temperature, different pipes, various modifications to the airbox, even the amount of oil one puts on their air filter can alter jetting. In an effort to help the customer better understand how final jetting is determined, we send every customer a multi-page jetting and break-in instruction sheet.

In your case, I believe we were not told that you were running filters directly on the carbs or that you did not have an air box. I would first recommend that you not run the air filters directly on the rear of the carbs. Our testing has shown a loss of 3-4 horsepower vs. using the stock air intake boots with a simple adapter to accept straight filters. What you have described as a problem has nothing to do with the main jets. They are fine. To solve the issue of your headpipes getting hot, simply open your fuel mixture screws 1/8-1/4 turn out (about 2 3/4 turns from bottom).

Concerning our Customer Service, I would like to think that the 6-7 hours a day that Jim and I spend on the phones helping people would be considered constructive. Most of the time we spend on the phones is related to helping people who had their engine work performed at some other shop. "Bear" has informed me that he suggested that you talk to me about your jetting issue; however, I don't recall that we ever had that conversation. You are welcome to call me to discuss any of your performance needs, especially jetting issues. I will look forward to your call.

Old 02-28-2002, 12:00 AM
Elite Pro Rider

HarryMcdermott- Welcome to ATV connection. I hope you pop in from time to time to give some advice.
Jazed1-
Everybody has a bad day from time to time. I have talked to Trinity a few times, no problems. They called back to verify 2 times. The few times that i called ( looking to get a 686 ) they were very helpful, took the time.......... Service after the sale is a big part of repeat sales. No one wants to **** off that group.

Biggy- What are the dyno numbers! Did you get the larger intake vavle, pro porting?

I can't wait to get mine back, tired of riding the wife's bayou 220

Old 02-28-2002, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer

"I am very concerned about your post on this site concerning your perception of good or bad service from my Company."

1....I never said that the service was good or bad. The only thing I know is what he told me. From the tone of voice, he did not seem interested in talking with me on the phone, he seemed to be really busy.

"If you felt that you did not receive appropriate customer service, you could have asked to speak with me directly."

2....He never told me to talk to anyone else about jetting or any other item for that matter. If he would have told me that I needed to talk to you I would have in a heart beat.

Accurate jetting is very difficult for a shop to determine especially when you consider all of the possible variables that influence the outcome. For example, altitude, temperature, different pipes, various modifications to the airbox, even the amount of oil one puts on their air filter can alter jetting. In an effort to help the customer better understand how final jetting is determined, we send every customer a multi-page jetting and break-in instruction sheet."

3...I did not get a "multi-page jetting and break-in instruction sheet". The only paperwork there was the invoice, and some paperwork inside the webcam box (specs on the cam). Nothing else, noda, nothing but packing material. Looked through it several times, no stickers and no jetting paperwork.
4...I know it is very difficult for you to give an exact jetting spec. I was only looking to be in the ballpark. I have had several machine over the years and have had to deal with jetting on all of them.
This one is the most troublesome due to all the mods and the CV carbs that yamaha used. I plan on relacing them at a later date.

In your case, I believe we were not told that you were running filters directly on the carbs or that you did not have an air box. I would first recommend that you not run the air filters directly on the rear of the carbs. Our testing has shown a loss of 3-4 horsepower vs. using the stock air intake boots with a simple adapter to accept straight filters. What you have described as a problem has nothing to do with the main jets. They are fine. To solve the issue of your headpipes getting hot, simply open your fuel mixture screws 1/8-1/4 turn out (about 2 3/4 turns from bottom)."

5... I told him that I had removed the airbox and replaced it with two metal tubes that connect the K&N filter to the stock rubber boots that go to the carbs.
6... I have adjusted the air screws out 4 turns with little diff.

Here are photos of my intake setup.
Intake Setup

Old 02-28-2002, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

i've had my raptor now for about eight months,& i don't care if its winter time or the middle of summer, your y pipes will get a little glow if you let it sit and idle for two minutes! you will really notice it on an after market pipe that is not black in color. did you do your final jetting on a dyno machine? i'm not convinced you have a jetting issue.

Old 02-28-2002, 06:16 AM
Range Rover

I'll give Mr McDermott the benefit of the doubt. Just the fact that he has taken the time to reply impresses me. Sometimes your employees don't represent your company the way you would. You expect them to. But like 14mins said and is right everybody has their days. Jay

Old 02-28-2002, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider

always good to see the "pros" get online with us, I think this shows the quality of trinity service that harry addresses this issue like this, hopefully they can get your bike up and running the way it should

Old 02-28-2002, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

velocityraptor
I've never had the headpipe glow red on any of the machines that I have owned over the years. It has sat idling fo long periods of time in the past and never had a problem. As long as jetting iss right, and there were no machanical problems it should idle all day long without a problem.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

I'm glad to see Trinity on here to get things back in line as well. I've been on this form for years. There is a lot of info here, I don't usualy post much but I do a lot of reading here.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:47 PM
Trailblazer

i've seen a custom titanium header pipe on a YZ426 glow.

prety neat

Old 02-28-2002, 04:20 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]sand raptor; i also have two other road dogs that also have raptors with after market exhausts, and their pipes also get low glow if let sit in idle for more than a couple of minutes. all three of our machines jetted on a winpep dynojet dyno machine. so i dont really think the jettings off.

Quick Reply: Question for Trinity 686 kit owners