ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   problems with kodiac water pump + (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/5870-problems-kodiac-water-pump.html)

y2kkodiac2 02-21-2000 12:03 AM

yes the other two have the same problem sand causing the seals to wear and blow out.

Wannabee 02-21-2000 12:28 AM

Well, certainly sounds like potential water pump problems to me. Especially if they sent a Yamaha rep on-site to your dealer (I assume you are in another state since you mentioned he came from California). I wouldn't worry too much that Yam doesn't admit they have problems at this point, since that usually doesn't happen until there is definate evidence and it may be too early to tell for sure. Best you can do is take it easy riding for awhile so if the 3rd pump fails you can assure your dealer that your riding environment and style have been very typical and in no way should have contributed to the pump failure. Good luck!

Y2K_Kodiak 02-21-2000 02:40 AM

A trick we use to use on cars back when Mt St Hellens erupted (ash was evrywhere).We would cover a cars intake hose with Pantyhose to keep ash out it dosent restrict airflow and will keep almost all dirt out. Just cut off the foot portion and slip it over the intake pipe and ziptie it or tape it.

Harold 02-21-2000 11:35 AM

As for the water pump, plug that hole with silicone!!!!

justhonda 02-21-2000 10:23 PM

the pantyhose idea sounds good, but they would have to restrict some airflow, but is it enough to worry about? (r u talking about the vent/airintake thing under the black hood)Thanks for all trhe help, and where is the water pump so i could keep an eye on it to see if it starts to drip etc.

Y2K_Kodiak 02-22-2000 02:04 AM

yeah the intake under the hood. The exit in the back will have air exiting it so its not really a concern it wont suck sand in.

JHAM 02-22-2000 05:36 PM

The air intakes for the tranny have a series of ups and downns and a water trap to avoid water getting in. I have a y2k kodiac have no problems thus far and my dealer has not had any water pump related problems out of numerous ones sold. Hopefully your problem can get resolved.

y2kkodiac2 02-22-2000 08:20 PM

If it has a series of ups and downs and a water trap in it which I have seen all of , Then tell me how sand and water has been found in the trans cover??? For the water pump I am still awaiting the arrival of it, have been told it want be here until March 15 which will have made 2months and 2 weeks that this machine has been in the shop.

redden 02-22-2000 08:59 PM

I Live in Nova Scotia Canada and my 2000 kodiak had the same problem with the water pump.
I seen it leaking took it in the dealer replaced the water pump cover gasket, got it back, still leaking, took it back in and the dealer replaced the water pump seal, stop it for now. I'm not happy that you spend that much for a toy and have problems like this. I'm glad to learn that its not only me maybe yamaha will find a way to fix it for good. My dealer said he talk to yamaha canada and they told him that this was the first time they had head of this problem.
I've got mine in september so maybe this problem start after you get a few miles on it.

Scott
y2kkodiak

y2kkodiac2 02-22-2000 09:40 PM

That is same thing my dealer said that it is the 1st one yamaha corp has had. How funny that there is 3 quads in the shop for the same reason. They will never admit they have a problem due to so many haven been sold the repair cost would hurt them. Hope it stays together for ya