ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Yamaha (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/)
-   -   problems with kodiac water pump + (https://atvconnection.com/forums/yamaha/5870-problems-kodiac-water-pump.html)

y2kkodiac2 02-20-2000 07:52 PM

I have a 2000 Kodiac and am having some problems with it. I just wanted to know if any one else has encontered any of the same problems? # 1 Water pump has a vent hole in the bottom of it that has allowed sand, mud to get in side and caused seal to go out and start leaking. Yamaha will fix it the first time but will not repair it twice, they said i need to find another place to ride. How do ya like that I can't even ride this atv with out Yamaha approving the Terrain. #2 Transmission has been slipping water and sand found in the trans cover, again Yamaha said it was my fault this happened, Im riding some where they havent giving approval to ride, In case you are wondering we ride on the sand bars at the river. The intake for the trans allows sand in the air to go into the trans. Poor design if you ask me. Dont get me wrong I like my wheelie when it is not in the shop. Bought it on november 30 1999 has been in the shop more than I have rode it. 1 MONTH AND TWO WEEKS TO DATE. Hope I can ride again soon. It is one mean looking machine setting in the shop with 26 in vamps all the way around and ITP aluminum wheels.

ryant 02-20-2000 08:48 PM

Maybe you can build some kind of filter to go over the vents so the sand and splashed water don't get in so easily?

y2kkodiac2 02-20-2000 09:19 PM

I have plan of doing something of the sort and am currently looking for some Ideal if anyone has any, although I really should not have to be re-modifying a brand new machine.

Wannabee 02-20-2000 09:33 PM

y2kkodiac2, I have been debating buying a Kodiak or Rancher. Can you elaborate a little on the kind of riding you do? Is this just a little occassional sand in the air or water mist once in awhile or are you playing submarine and flingin sand like a baja racer that even a Honda would have trouble with?

GrizKo 02-20-2000 09:39 PM

I have A '00 Kodiak with over 1500 km's and zero problems.

y2kkodiac2 02-20-2000 10:22 PM

I have been riding around the river where I live, It has mudholes water and sand. The kodiac is the best 4 wheeler, by far. It just has a few kinks that Yamaha could have desinged a little differently, Like the air intake for the trans should have been re-routed so that when a splash of water or even while washing it, would not allow it to run in to the in-take also the water pump should have some type of tube run from the vent hole up high not to allow sand to get into it and cause the seals to go out.

Wannabee 02-20-2000 11:13 PM

I'm not familiar with the Kodiak water pump, but most waterpumps have tiny weep holes at the bottom, the purpose of which is to allow you to detect when the pump seal is leaking by seeing the water drops on the ground or seeing the water trails from the hole. If it weren't there, the first indication you might get of a seal problem is when it finally gives out completely and you lose all water. Maybe this is not the hole you are talking about, but it is hard for me to visualize how sand could get so packed into that hole that it would cause the seal to leak.

Thanks for the positive comments on the Kodiak otherwise.

y2kkodiac2 02-20-2000 11:23 PM

I asked the same question about the sand also, this information was given to me straight from a tech which come from California, to the dealer an checked my quad personally because it has been in the shop twice for the same leaking water pump. I have two friends who ride with me who also have 2000 kodiac's and guess what? Leaking water pump. We all put an indicator light on the bike so that we would no when the fan was running, after wondering why it was running so long it was discovered anti-freeze was leaking, had it not been for the light we put on, It would have probaly burn up.

justhonda 02-20-2000 11:54 PM

where is this water pump located and where does it let sand and water in, what does it mean when the fan comes on

Wannabee 02-20-2000 11:56 PM

Hmmm...4 leaking waterpumps on 3 y2Kodiaks and they are telling you it is because you ride funny! Are they suggesting the other 2 machines have failed because of sand also? Sounds like maybe a call to the district Yamaha rep is in order. To the dealer's credit they have replaced both yours under warranty, but sounds like they're getting ready to pull the plug on any more warranty pumps.

Any more Y2Kodiak riders with water pump failures?