Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor header bolt snapped!!!! SOS

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2002, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OH man i am so pisssed !!! at myself

I went to go put my Yoshi back on instead of the stock unit..when i went to take the header off...the stud that holds the pipe on got stuck on the flange..so i kind of hit it with my hand and caused the stud to bend a little..at the same time the header slipped off...then i noticed thatthe stud was bent and it was n't lining up with the holes..so i took a small hammer and tapped it very lightly to make it go back into the original space. SNAP! it snapped clean off leaving a broken stud in the cylinder. There is nothing for me to grab either...and that stud is real small..has anyone els ehad this happen to them.? what should i do.. ireally don't want to bring it back to the dealer again..
thanks in advance..

Old 03-11-2002, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

Go to Sears and get a bolt extractor. they sell diffrent sizes depending on the bolt size. you will need a drill bit small enough to drill into the remaining bolt with out boring out the threads. tap in the extractor. and twist out. i think you'll be in it for $5.

something like this, should NOT be handled by the dealer. In fact, if you must. just take it to any auto mechanic. Bolts snap all the time. i've been in several accidents on my Raptor and the front grab bar bolts snap every time. the tool worked for me multiple times.

Practice makes perfect

Old 03-11-2002, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh haa sears OK good idea

but i am just afraid the bolt i ssoo small...what could be the worst case secanario if that got messed up? would i have to get a new cynlinder? I have a back up mechanic just in case

Old 03-11-2002, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

i understand. if your nervous attemting this on such a small bolt your first time. take it to you mechanic...it should'nt cost you much. i just think the bike shop would spank you. They are usually backed up with work anyways. Good Luck.

Old 03-11-2002, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

si this what you are refferring too

bolt extractor

Old 03-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

not exactly...it looks similar though. instead of the threaded head it comes to a point and the last 1/2 inch of the tip is not rounded...it becomes four sided. and the edges are sharp. so when you tap it in it bites against the sides of the hole you drilled. then you can put a wrench on the end you were tappings and back it out.

the one thing you need to be careful of is drilling the hole in the center of the broken bolt. sometimes the surface of the break has a burr or high point from the break. your drill bit can & will slip off from the center and you'll ruin the threads of the header by drilling in crooked. USE A CENTER PUNCH. make a center mark with the punch and drill slowly. Take your time! Any back yard mechanic can master this feat. you just need to be cautious because of the size of the bolt you working with.

Speaking of center punches...thats what the tap looks like with sharpened edges at the tip.

Old 03-11-2002, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Joeyd: Its also called and EZout. Good luck, I had the same problem but it was due to the flanges bending on my DMC. I was pulling the cylinder head anyway to build the 686. I did however try to drill and remove the stud both on and off the quad. No dice removing the old stud on the quad or off. I'm not sure what they put them in with(Loctite), but they are definitely a Bitc* to remove. I had the machine shop drill an put a new insert into the head when they were doing the valve job. I know that you will need a right angle drill to get into the stud, especially if it is one of the internal studs. You might have better luck, cross your fingers!

Old 03-11-2002, 05:32 PM
Pro Rider

i took another look at that website...went to "other tools like this item" and it shows an extractor kit for $11.00 with diffrent size extractors. i bet the size you need is in there. it's to small to make out...good luck. keep me posted.

Old 03-11-2002, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks alot you guys..i have done this before but i am going to defintly get myself centerpunch. do you think that a Dremel with a drill bit would be good toget it started?

i took the first step..i ordered the new bolts. I am going to stop at sears right after work...i will keep you guys posted...what really sucks is tha i can't go riding because of this stupid little bolt!!!!!

Old 04-30-2002, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

This is just an update

Went and bought 3 ez outs and it still didn't work. HAD TO PULL THE ENGINE.My friends dad builds all kind s of stuff from scratch. He put my engine on the drill press. drilled out the old bolt and threaded in a new one with heli-coil. Its perfect now. Those damn Yoshi Minga pipes sure are a tight fit.. be extremely careful with these header bolts..they will ruin your month!!

Thanks for evryones help..

Quick Reply: Raptor header bolt snapped!!!! SOS