Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Carb setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2000, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just Picked up a 96 Warrior for my Wife to Accompoany me on Rides with Me and My son
The Quad has a Cobra Exhaust, and other than Holeshots all around is stock, and immaculant.
Question, Upon going to full throttle from idle, the quad dies.. A jetting problem i assume. I didnt look at the Plug yet to see how Its Burning, Any opinions?
Thanks!

Old 02-23-2000, 11:45 PM
GJ
Range Rover

Ron, If its not jetting it could also be the reverse switch is not grounding properly by the reverse lever. Sounds goofy but its true. My friends 91 warrior came with the revese wire tied to ground. To test it you should be able to disconnect the wire from the switch and clip it to ground temporarily. This problem is also noted a bunch of times in the Tech section of ATV Connection. Go there and do a search on jetting problems and read through them they will tell you what you need to do to fix the switch. They also have real good examples of jetting problems. good luck. Also, but not related, take the chain off and see if you can spin the sprocket easily in neutral. If not there is trouble brewing.

Old 02-24-2000, 11:11 AM
Trailblazer

From what I've been told, the reverse switch grounding problem is usually noticed by a skip or miss at high rpm...easily fixed by running a new ground from the switch to the negative side of the battery. As far as it dying though, it could be a number of things, and even my 2K Warrior hesitates if I quickly goose it from idle to WOT (my main jet is a little on the rich side @ 155). I'd suggest pulling the carb and cleaning it as best as possible, same goes for the air filter as well as a new plug, and then see how it reacts (while you have the carb off, take a look at the jet needle position and main jet size). BTW, I highly suggest replacing the junky stock air filter set up with one from Pro Design...get the Pro Flow adapter and run either the supplied foam filter or a K&N. Also, GJ is right...go to the Tech Connection and do an advanced search for the Warrior under the ATV Models section...loads of good info there!

Old 02-24-2000, 01:53 PM
GJ
Range Rover

Sorry, I think I did miss read the trouble you were having. If you are going from idle to full throttle real fast most motors will cough and if the throttle is left open may die. I think this was due to a lean condition with all the available air (throttle open wide)at that moment and thats reason for the accelerator pumps on these carbs. To check to see if the pump is working you can take off the intake boot to the carb and look in there and gas it (motor off) and you should see a stream of gas comming out the tall brass jet in the back of the carb spraying to the front of it.If its not working you'll need to take the carb apart and check the pump out located in the bowl (its just a plunger) and its linkage. Hope ya can get it running right.

Old 02-24-2000, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

I noticed the same problem with my '99 Warrior. If it is sitting still, in neutral, and I go from idle to Wide Open Throttle it will cough and want to stall unless I let go of the throttle. As far as I know this only happens sitting still in neutral. I also noticed what the high speed/high rpm slipping. If I am in 6 gear W.O.T. - near my top end it will slip out of gear. If I back off of the throttle for a second it will re-engage and seems fine. Is this the problem with the reverse grounding?

Old 02-25-2000, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

the problem youre having with the neutral is that the warrior doesnt permit the rpms to go up more than 3000 in neutral.....is perfectly normal....it says so in the manual...

Old 02-26-2000, 12:37 AM
GJ
Range Rover

NoFear, that slipping out of gear doesnt sound like an electrical problem, seems more like a clutch problem. What do you mean by slip out of gear? Does the engine stumble or bog? or does it seem to rev a bit higher when that happens? It may be slipping under high loads and letting off the gas lets her grip again. Are you using any weird oils in the crank case?

Julio, My Warrior seems to rev out all the way in nutral, but its an 87. Must be a newer model thing.

GJ

Trending Topics

Old 02-26-2000, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

The Warrior has a switch built into the parking brake that won't allow the engine to rev beyond 2300 rpm when the parking brake is engaged...you can take the switch apart and separate the pins to eliminate that "feature". NoFear29...no, the reverse switch ground won't cause the problem you described, and I'm also curious to know if it's actually popping out of 6th at WOT, is the transmission slipping, or does it just "feel" as though it does. Slipping/popping out of gear definitely sounds like a tranny or clutch problem, but if it just dies/bogs at WOT and then recovers after you let off the throttle, then I'd say it might be a jetting issue.

Old 02-27-2000, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey man. My 96 Warrior has a similar problem. If U don't properly engage the reverse lever all the way from reverse to forwards it will POP out of gear in the high RPM's and the reverse lever will rattle. If thats it then try puting the reverse lever into "forward" while stopped in gear letting the clutch out. Hope this helps!!

Old 02-29-2000, 12:25 AM
Trailblazer

My Warrior seems to slip when I am WOT nearing my top end in 6th gear.. It does not do this in any other gear. When it happens I hear the engine rev high (almost like when you hit neutral instead of 2nd gear). When this happens I back off of the throttle a notch and it re-engages the gear. I dont go back to WOT again I just ride at that speed and it does fine. I have heard of this problem from mechanics and other Warrior riders and it seems quite common. I took it to a shop and they had trouble duplicating it. When they did duplicate it they were not sure what it was and wanted to get into the tranny which they weren't sure was covered by warranty.
I didnt really feel like having my bike torn apart and experimented on while they tried to diagnose the problem so I took it home.
It seems like this only happens when they bike has been ridden for a few hours.
I use yamalube in it and the only change I have made was a K&N filter.

I don't have the problem mentioned in the above post about the reverse lever popping out and rattling. I belive that is unrelated.

Quick Reply: Warrior Carb setup