Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine or Big Bear??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 09:31 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone for their input. Like greatcanadian said.." You can't go wrong with either one" It's just a matter of tase. I've been around Quads since the 80's! I feel old! I just wanted to see what everyone's input was on these bikes. I know they have been in Yamaha's lineup for a while just wanted to see what your input was. Once again THANKS!!! I'll fill you in on the new bike once I get it!!

Old 04-05-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

If I were you, i would get the big bear. I have a 2000 wolverine and a 2001 big bear, and I think the big bear is a better quad. I even drag raced my bb against my wolverine and the big bear was beating it until 5th gear. The wolverine might be faster, but it will take a lot longer to reach its top speed. The bb also has a very very low gear for working, while the wolverine is geared higher. Although these are both great quads, for your needs i would go with the big bear.

Old 06-02-2002, 10:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am researching these 2 machines right now so I thought i'd bring this topic back up. I also would like something that is a good mix of utility and sport. My main question would be, with the 4x4 of the wolverine does it really affect driveability? I've had a lot of people tell me if I want 4x4 to get something that I can shift into 2wd (even the local yamaha shop told me this) I am used to riding OLD smaller quads so i'm sure anything is an improvement. I'm no out jumping these things but I do trail ride. As far as the utility end goes it's just lighter stuff around the yard. My buddies old Honda 250 can handle the utility side now so i'm sure either of the above quads can too. Is the "sportiness" lost in full time 4wd?? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 06-02-2002, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer

Well I can tell you this much I have a 2001 Wolverine and My Friend has a 2002 Kodiak..When I ride the Wolverine it's much faster,lighter,and easier to handle then when I ride my friend's Kodiak ..I'm not real sure but isn't the Big Bear smaller then a 400 cc Kodiak? what you get with a Big Bear versus a Wolverine is that fact that yes the Wolverine had been in Yamaha's line-up for some time and it is not nearly as technicologically advanced as the Big Bear (i.e. push button 4wd and such), But my wolverine has been super reliable and I'm not easy on it. I jump it on motorcross tracks,Pull the drag around the motorcross track to groom it for hours on end and ride very hard and fast through the trails. I could never see going through the trails like that on a Big Bear or Kodiak. But I can also pull the utility trailer around the backyard when I need to. As many of you have called it a sport or utility 4x4 not one of you got it right. The Wolverine is a sport/utility 4x4 ..It does both well, but there is other more class specific models out there that do it better in thier specific class.
If this makes it easier here is an example:

<<<< Sport>==^Wolverine===============<Utility >>>>

<<<< Sport>=================^BigBear=<Utility >>>>

<<<< Sport>================^Kodiak===<Utility >>>>

<<<< Sport>=============Grizzy^======<Utility >>>>

Old 06-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Range Rover

I have a Wolverine & my cousin has a big bear. The big bear just cant hang. When I first go my quad I had 25" tires on it there was no comparison in the mud but I switched back to stock size & the bear has alittle bit of an advantage. When each of us got stuck he had to winch his out while I just got off my & pushed. The Wolve is one of the greatest quads ever just lacks some CCs & 2wd.

Old 06-02-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

all a matter of personal preferance. tell me if im wrong, but isin't the wolverine a manual clutch? if so that might make a difference to you too. the BB has an auto clutch,ie; nothing to pull and vertually cannot stall on torky take offs. just a thought.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 06-03-2002, 10:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

No the Wolverine is a auto-clutch.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess my main concern with the Wolverine is with the full time 4x4. Does it loose some of the fun not being able to slide the rear around? Also, guess I'm kind of thrown considering even the Yamaha dealer I went to said he stears people away from the Wolverine. He made it sound like the full time 4x4 is a negative thing.

Old 06-03-2002, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

It was my concern as well, but if thats all you want to do then get a sport quad. I also use mine during hunting season, so a true sport quad was out of the question. To me it's a great quad. I also would like for it to be able to swith from 4x4 to 2x4, but then who wouldn't.

Old 06-03-2002, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I think the wolverine is a versatile machine even though it cant switch between 2 and 4 wheel drive. If you want to powerslide on a ute quad your not gonna like either fulltime 4x4 or not.

I cant say much for the big bear but I can swear by the wolverine that you will have fun. I rode my brother-inlaws wolverine extensively this past weekend (he wanted to ride my raptor). It took a few minutes to get over the fact that it had little power compared to the raptor and felt like a brick.. a few minutes later and I was railing turns and having fun and the power didnt seem to be much of an issue. He also encouraged me to go through some pretty deep water on it too, I was suprised that I didnt drown it out in this mid tank level water. The front end actually started to float and I could use the 4 wheel drive to steer - just motor boating along in a wheely. Im trying to figure out where and how to post the videos of it.. comical.

Quick Reply: Wolverine or Big Bear??