Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear oil change

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2002, 04:41 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Bear for a few months now and feel it is time to freshen up the fluids but I don't have the owner's manual.
I was wondering what the recommended oil viscosity is and how much will be needed. Also, I've heard that this model has a reusable oil filter. I was wondering where this is located so I can clean it. I looked around and saw a couple of places where i think it could be but I don't want to start tearing everything apart to find it.
Also, what is the recommended viscosity of the front and rear differential.
Sorry for all the questions but your help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 04-05-2002, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

I don't have the answers to your questions, but a call or visit to your Yamaha dealer should get you the answers you are looking for. But in the long run, you should get the service manual.

Old 04-05-2002, 05:17 PM
Trailblazer

Your Big Bear is simmilar to my 99 Kodiak. The olil filter is located on the right side of the motor at the bottom/front. You will see the Oil cooler lines comming out of a silver cap that has 3 allan type screws. Take this off, your oil filter is in here, flush with varsol and rinse with fresh clean water becarful to reasemble the filter proberly. (it's a really easy thing to clean). My kodiak takes 3.5 quarts of oil but my Oil cooler is larger that yours so I would think you would need a little less. I use Suzuki oil with differnt grades depenting on the season, your dealer will help you pick the right oil. Warning be ready when you drop the oil from the crank case. It's a about a 1.5" diameter hole and the oil gushes out at record speed. My technique is to winch the front of my Quad up in the air from the rafters and pre-losen the oil plug first, then I let it down and unscrew the rest with my fingers. (Oil plug is hard to crack loose when your under the quad)
Good luck
1999kodiak.

Old 04-06-2002, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the tips 1999kodiak, I thought that's where the filter would be. Also for the heads up on the drainage rate. I am also going to look into getting a service manual. I probably wouldn't attempt anything outside of basic maintenance but it would be good to have anyway.
Thanks