Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Who Do You Guys Get To Chrome Your Frames??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002 | 11:14 PM
|
The Facility

Which company do you guys use to chrome your frames, swingarms, A-frames, etc, etc???????

How much down time to expect and how much did you guys spend??

I already know to remove bearings and fill threaded holes and the cleaning bit. Shipping costs are not an issue.

I used to have my stuff plated with "poor man's chrome". There was a ceiling fan plant in my home town and a guy who worked there would dip anything for a ten dollar bill. Looked like real chrome and held up to only the biggest scratches. Plant is closed, so I have to use the real thing now.LOL

Any tips and company suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
KNOWSALOT

Old 04-10-2002 | 04:27 AM
Pro Rider

knowsalot.. chroming is big out here on the west coast.. there are several places that can do it... i know of several lowriders that take there stuff to " orange county plating" out here in orange county, california.. they actually did my powdercoat as well.. theyre good.. but by no means cheap.. they qouted me 225-250 to chrome a 250r swingarm, not to mention a 4 - 6 week downtime

Old 04-10-2002 | 08:54 PM
|
The Facility

Thanks elsancho,

I figured it was going to be expensive. Like I said, I never have had the "real" chrome donr before. Just seen and heard about it.

I know a guy who get's his classic truck parts chromed somewhere in Alabama. I'm gonna chase him down and get with that company to see if they are capable of doing a quad frame. And for how much.

Again, Thanks.

Old 04-10-2002 | 09:58 PM
Pro Rider

hey knowsalot, theres a color of powdercoat called "almost chrome" its really shiny like chrome and its tough like powdercoat. you should try that.

Old 04-10-2002 | 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Knowsalot,

I used to do NDT for a plating company in Ca. I called a bud there to see if he could do it for you at a decent cost. Now for the bad news, due to the Califonia Air resource board they no longer find it profitable to do. You maybe want aircraft epoxy paint? or anodizing, maybe some nice zinc chromate (that may be the poor mans chrome you talked about).

Sorry I couldn't help.

Smitty

Old 04-10-2002 | 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

You might look for a bumper shop, I know some people that had used one before when I lived in texas. They had a lot of different parts chromed by a bumper shop.

But, they had to be sure and tell the guy they wanted a higher quality than most bumpers. I dont know the difference, but I did see some parts that were not that great. You know kind of like the chrome on a stock bumper for a truck. It shines and looks ok, but not show quality chroming.

Anyway that is just a thought and might help you out.

Bat

Old 04-10-2002 | 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

here's an awesome place ,they do show quality chrome fast turnaround excellent product.one of the best in the entire country.
[b]quality chrome in sterling Illinois 815-626-5223

Old 04-10-2002 | 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

It's tough to get things chromed nowadays because of EPA rules. When I got my wheelie bar chromed I called all 15 plating companies in Tulsa, Only one took in outside work.

I paid $80 for plating only (no polishing) & it took 2 weeks.
See my wheelie bar on My Web Site I think it looks good enough unpolished & they wanted another $80 for polishing, See what you think.

For a frame you may want to spring the extra for polished show chrome. Your just going to have to do some leg work to find a place that takes outside work.

Old 04-11-2002 | 12:43 AM
|
The Facility

Thamks for all the info. guys.

I guess the 10.00 celing fan technology would have to come to an end someday huh??..LOL

Hey MOOSE, I figured the EPA would be a kink somewhere along the way. They seem to meddle into everything now.

Next year, you probally won't be able to remove your gas cap for a fill up unless purchasing a permit beforehand.

Old 04-11-2002 | 03:22 AM
Pro Rider

heres a pic of the almost chrome color i was talkin about. click here

Quick Reply: Who Do You Guys Get To Chrome Your Frames??????