Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Rev Limiter (HELP) *NEW INFO*

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question regarding how the Rev Limiter on a Raptor responds when you hit it. Generally what I have seen on other quads is they pop and sputter when you hit it. I was doing some hard drag racing today and three different times at high RPM's it felt the gears dissengaged and I was free revving the engine. I mashed the clutch and let off the gas and slowed down and it seemed fine. I guess I was expecting it to sputter or backfire, not dissengage the transmission. My fear was that I just smoked my transmission. And that is my question, IS that the what happens when you hit the REV Limiter on a Raptor or is my clutch/transmission failing??

Old 04-25-2002, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider

Surely someone else has hit their REV Limiter. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2002, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

mine just breaks up a little on the top then I shift. to bad theres no tack, right. it would be nice to see whats going on.

Old 04-25-2002, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

I'd suspect it's your oil not the rev limiter. I once had my clutch slip in fifth gear WOT. It was the synthetic oil I was using. I went back to non synthetic Yamalube and it never happened since. Change your oil and try it again.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider

I am going to be putting a tach on mine. It was weird though. I was hammering it pretty hard though. I was either in 4th or 5th (think it was 4th. though. I am current on my oil changes, but I'll give it a go.

Old 04-25-2002, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

rev limiter will actually chop the motor to prevent higher revs, if you are slipping out of gear you have either a clutch (most likely needs adjusting) or a transmission problem (less likely)

Old 04-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I just got off the phone with my dealer and they said they thought my transmission was going out. I checked on my warantee and it also went out 10 DAYS AGO!! They said that they hadn't had that problem on the Raptors, but they had on some of their YZ bikes. Usually 5th. gear. I sounds like I am going to get to learn how to rebuild a tranny!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Any other oppinions are welcome and definatly wanted.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey............Could my clutch be out of adjustment? I recently turned/tightend the locking nut on the clutch lever because it was a little loose. Do you think maybe I turned it just enough to make it slip when WFO ???

Old 04-25-2002, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

WFO in taller gears is when clutch slipping will happen most, or starts to happen

check that you have proper play in the clutch lever, usually about 1/4 for me.. if you have play and the clutch is slipping then its time for a new clutch.

I cant believe your dealer didnt tell ya that, well actually I can believe it.. If your transmission were going out you would definitely know it at whatever speed you at.

Old 04-26-2002, 12:37 PM
Pro Rider

Relax, it's almost a sure thing it's clutch related. Either wrong/contaminated oil or out of adjustment or worn out clutch. Very minor problem to deal with and much cheaper than a blown transmission.

Quick Reply: Raptor Rev Limiter (HELP) *NEW INFO*