Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

686 starter problems!! raptor720 or anyone some help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As many of you proably khow I have the sparks 690 kit (minus his port work) with the 12.5:1 piston. First off my starter will hardly turn the piston over, unless the battery is peaked out fully charged. My raptor has been making some clunking noises from the starter area for probably a year now, but it would only do it every once in a while. Now it has gotten worse. It makes alot of clunking noises when starting. So I think the oneway is ready to go. Does yamaha make an updated one way assembly and could you give me part numbers? do I need to replace any other parts? how much does it cost? I need to fix this asap, before I leave for round 4 of the gnc's in north carolina.

thanks for any help

Old 05-20-2002, 01:52 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Schoolz- might check the decompressing spring on the cam. The shop muffed that one also. 1.99 for the spring. Good luck! I think i got the bugs worked out of mine now. It hauls........

Old 05-20-2002, 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

I got rid of the decompression completely. I called sparks, trinity and ct. They all said that you don't really need it. To tell ou the truth I put it in first with the decompression and it made no difference.

Old 05-20-2002, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

If your one way starter clutch is going bad, you could have a few parts that you will need.

Make sure the battery cables at the battery are tight. They tend to back off over time.

If the cables are ok, and you are not running the Sparks advance key, you might want to perform the following upgrades:

On the starter issue, replace the starter relay (near the battery) with a bigger unit (Ford type - it has larger contacts), replace the battery cables with home grown (#6 welding cables) and copper lugs. There are also batteries that will fit that have a much higher amp rating (but they weigh more).

I run 11.0:1 compression and the decompressor is removed from the cam. On occasion, I will need to bump the starter over a couple of clicks before I can get past the compression stroke. It is not a problem -- I do enjoy not having that decompressor play hell with me on tight trails at low rpm's.

Old 05-20-2002, 01:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Do some research on the one-way starter bearing.....don't ride 'till it's fixed. Yamaha paid for mine out of warranty.

Old 05-21-2002, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

sounds like you need a one-way clutch,if its been making noise for quite ahwile when cranking youll probably need the starter gear the clutch rides on also.i paid 166.00 for the clutch,i polished the surface on my gear but i think a new gear was $75

Old 05-21-2002, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Okay guys it is definetly the one way. Is there an updated one way bearing assembly? Is it a different part number? I don't want to put the same thing back in and have it go out a week later. I am going to buy one tommorrow so please help.

Old 05-21-2002, 01:46 PM
Range Rover

i have the sparks 690 kit with the 12.5:1 compression....when i first put the bike back together the starter had problems turning the engine over...i would just put it in a high gear...turn the motor so the piston was in a different position and then it would start...now that the motor is broken in...i have no problems starting mine....glad to hear that you problems where just the one-way starter....so far mine is ok...but someday i will have to replace it....hope things work out for ya....question....who did you port work if curtis didnt do it...and if you had the porting done...did you match the intact boots to the porting?....

herbdon out.....

Old 05-21-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

A local guy that does an awesome job did the port work. He also matched the intake boots and the exhaust gaskets.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

If you need to repair the starter look into buying the whole starter. I had to do the same and it was cheeper to replace it then to repair it.
I also have a guy that does mods on starters and stators that you might be interested in talking to.I met him at the Dealer Expo in Indy this year. He does a lot of Harlys

Quick Reply: 686 starter problems!! raptor720 or anyone some help please!!