Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Winch & Grizzly question?.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2000, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up my new Grizzly over the weekend and installed my warn A2000 winch. From the looks of it. Those terminals don't look real weather proof. I did put some Dioelectric Grease on the Winch terminals then slipped the black boots over them. Should I use some RTV or silicone to seal them even better? Any tips on weather proofing this? I don't plan on using this Grizzly as a submarine but It will see some water from creek crossings etc. Should I seal up the switch too? or at least put some dioelectic grease on the terminals.. (I did not when I installed it)

Any other Grizzly tips, I just picked it up and have only put 27miles on it so far.

Any Break in tips or suggestions?

Where can I get a good deal on a snatchblock? I have looked at Northertool but didn't see any.

Old 03-06-2000, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J. C. Whitney, (312) 431-6102; www.jcwhitney.com, has a bunch of ****** blocks in its catalog.

Wouldn't worry too much about electrical connections on the winch; start out clean and tight, and exposure has little effect.

Good luck!

Tree Farmer

Old 03-08-2000, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ridgerunner,

I went a different Route. I bought a Sheave block at Tractor Supply.

http://204.127.236.40/catalog/hardware/p317.htm

I got the one with the hook. The hook is held in by a nut, bolt and sleeve which I removed and replaced it with a clevis pin. I chose to drill the hole to allow a larger clevis pin (1/2" instead of 3/8"). This way the pin and the hook can be removed, and the winch cable can be threaded onto the pulley, then the hook and pin replaced. I went this route because it was the only ****** block (more or less) I could find in stock, and I didn't want to wait for mail order shipment.

After this I found that this makes a very compact ****** block rated for 2,000 lbs (3,000 available) and it only weighs 3 pounds. In the future I think I am going to weld the hook to one side to make threading the cable easier, but still use the pin in case the weld breaks.

It may not work for you, but it is an alternative.

To add to Tree Farmer's response, it looks like Northern tool (northerntool.com)carries the exact same ****** blocks as JCWhitney. The block that is rated for 2,000 lbs is shown as weighing 10 lbs and appears to be much larger.

Yammer_Hummer