Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've nearly got break in done, I had a couple of tidbits. One I haven't heard much about the greasing on the griz, but there are at least six zerks, ALL very important ones, the dealer missed mentioning the knuckle bushings on the rear IRS. The dealer mentioned the U joint zerks, any other zerks I'm missing or spots that need zerks? ( ala honda foot brake ) Another thing was that I'm getting low milage not a suprize for my riding style, about 9mpg, or 45 miles per tank, the kicker is that I'm using the throttle limiter (during breakin) to keep it below half throttle and it's still that low [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . Another tidbit is THANK the LORD I never got [talked into] a 2wd ATV - While it's a nice option to cruise, I've gotten stuck about every fifty yards on my 'well groomed' [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] woods trails. I had very correctly figured back when I got my honda over a year ago 4wd was the only way, but now I KNOW. With the larger rubber and diff lock and another inch clearance I've a bit more confidence in mudding(though the rancher is no paticular slouch about mud as evidenced against the griz in say 2wd.) It rained a couple inches before I got home on Friday, nothing like throwing 40 foot roosts of mud with this thing.
More griz stuff, Has anyone modified the footpegs to sit about a half inch or inch higher, as they are they may as well be flat with the boards, Oh hell I think the floorboards need a lot of work like, larger drain holes, more pronounced pegs, and reinforcement underneath. Just for kicks I toured out to some pavement and tried a burn out or two, it doesn't even stress, high gear, even part throttle will have in burning dunlop rubber at high wheel speeds, wicked. BTW: Is there some trick to starting the grizz with the recoil, maybe I just haven't been keeping up on my wheaties but turning this thing over is a beast, and I haven't managed to turn it fast enough to get it to fire with the recoil.

Old 05-26-2002, 08:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hey good point. I haven't done it yet, but I have thought a few times of cutting some 1/4" pieces of flat steel to space under the little steel pegs to raise them up. Wouldn't be hard at all. If you had the right width steel, all you would need would be a hacksaw and maybe some longer bolts. It would sure make a difference in the grip.

Old 05-26-2002, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

Elranco,I to had problems starting the 660.There is a trick to it.First you must pull the rope past the compression stroke.If you pull smooth and steady you will feel two hard spots as soon as you pass the second one retract the rope then with both hands and with authority pull with all you got,it will turn over no problem.When I first got my grizzly I pulled it all over the yard trying to start it.Finally figured it out.Didn't have to pull start it just wanted to know if I could if needed.

P.S. GO CHECK OUT STEVE'S PICS.2002660 GRIZZLY. A RECENT POST.HE HAS A EXCELENT FIX FOR THE WEAK FLOORBOARDS.I AM GOING TO DO THIS MYSELF.