Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

CDI question

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2002, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a no start problem on my warrior...and basically i've narrowed it down to the cdi. Of course i'm not really happy about paying $400 for one...and then putting it in to find out that wasnt my problem.

So does anyone know of a way to test the cdi? I thought about maybe just putting it in another warrior and testing it...but i dont know anyone who would let me to that to theirs.

Also, i can get my engine to start and run if i just jumper the battery to the starter. Would it start and run if the cdi was toast?

Old 06-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

No it would not even start and run if the CDI was toast!!!

Old 06-02-2002, 08:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If you jump it like that and it starts its not the CDI. Is there a fuse inline somewhere? Check the wiring for the start button. Its somewhere between the battery, through the start button to the starter. Start tracing wires. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2002, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

well thats the problem, i've checked the fuse, all the relays, all the switches...they all check out individually. so if its not the cdi...then i got some tape pealing to do...

Old 06-02-2002, 08:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Try jumping the start button itself. Maybe it will be as simple as corroded contacts in the switch. Tracing wires is a pain. Good luck.

Old 06-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure to check your ground wire to!!! I had this happen on a lakota once and all it was , was the ground wire was loose!!!!

Old 06-02-2002, 09:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah, the first thing i checked was the ground wire, i even took the bolt out and scrubbed everything with a wire brush, didnt work.

so now i was desperate to find anything, and i checked the clutch switch again. when the clutch was on it gave an open reading, but when i pulled the clutch in it gave it closed....but i was getting a strange reading of like 1,000 ohms. now none of this should matter anyway, as the engine is in nuetral and should start, but i figured this is the best clue i've gotten so far, might as well check it out. So...basically i destroyed the clutch switch trying to take it out....this thing just dosnt want to give me any breaks...

Old 06-03-2002, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider

Does the Warrior have a starter silinoid like the Raptor?

Old 06-03-2002, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, there is a starter solonoid located in the rear under the fender area - should be fairly simple to check - it's exposed. I had similar symptoms and it was dirt/dust starter switch.

Old 06-04-2002, 02:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

ugh...another interesting chapter now.

well i figured out why it isnt starting, the starter circuit cut off relay isnt working. now heres the interesting part...its not working because the relay is broke....its not working because the relay isnt getting any power.

theres two leads that just send power to the starter relay, those two work fine when activated....they just arent getting activated.

Theres two other leads that activate the relay, one leads to the ignition switch...which works perfectly. the other lead goes to...guess where?

Yep, the cdi. from the wiring diagrams i've seen the cdi simply connects the lead to a ground to complete the circuit...thats isnt happening for whatever reason.

i'm not so sure the cdi isnt broke...

Quick Reply: CDI question