Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What tools do I need to replace 2002 Raptor axle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2002, 03:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I located an LSR axle which I am picking up tomorrow and plan to install myself. What tools do I need to remove the axle? The nuts on there are pretty damn big! (thats what she said). Also is there anything special I need to do to the thing like grease it and what kind to use if I do need to?

-Jeff

Old 06-14-2002, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

a couple big pipe wrenchs, a set of allen wrenches, pliers, and a socket wrench set. Grease the axle before you put it in the bearing carrier.

Old 06-14-2002, 03:37 PM
Trailblazer

What I am really concerned about is the size of the nut, cuz I don't want to buy a big 'ol wrench that isn't big enough. I mean is 32mm to big small?

-Jeff

Old 06-14-2002, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

i've heard someone say that it is a 50mm, but I could be wrong

Old 06-14-2002, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

Which nut? for the hub or axle? either way a big pipe wrench will do, just don't chew them up. If it's for the hub, take the tire off if you have to get at it with the wrench.

Old 06-14-2002, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Well the reason I am asking is because the biggest wrench in my set is 22mm and if I have to go buy one I want to do it before the stores close...it's already 3pm eastern time here. Also do I need to torque this thing to some ft\lb spec or do I just tighten the ***** as much as I can?

Thanks alot for you input!

Old 06-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Well, you better get to the store cuz a 22mm won't work. I don't really remember what size it is, I just start grabbing sockets but I know for sure that a 22mm is waaay to small for the hub castle nut.

Just tighten 'er up good and if you talking about the hub, tighten up as much as possible and get the castle nut to line up with the hole in the axle for the cotter pin.

Old 06-14-2002, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

I'm fairly certain the stock axle nut is 24mm and the one on the LoneStar axle is 27mm. The two big nuts that hold the rear end together are 50mm. I'd recommend a couple of 18" adjustable wrenches or a couple of 2" box end wrenches on those rather than pipe wrenches since the pipe wrenches put some nasty digs in the nuts.

Old 06-14-2002, 06:51 PM
Range Rover

Although a pipe or crescent wrench is ok to remove the nuts, you'll need the Motion Pro wrench set to properly install and torque them. You'll also want to refer to the shop manual, cause there is a specific set of steps to go thru and three diff torque settings to employ. And don't forget the locktite!

If my manual was here, I'd spell it all out for you. Anyone have the manual handy?

Old 06-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Trailblazer

dooboarder I have the service manual, but I don not have that special wrench. I think I am going to try and do everything up to the torque step, until I get the wrench.

Funny I spoke to one yamaha dealer in my area and they said there is no special wrench for it just use an adjustabl and tighten the ****. I called for a second opinion to another yamaha dealer and they told me off the bat that I need a special wrench to torque it to spec. Hmmm, maybe I can get them to torque it for me if I am done intime Sat. so I can ride Sunday.

What kind of grease is recommended for the new axle?

Quick Reply: What tools do I need to replace 2002 Raptor axle?