Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Questions for the MX racers???

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 11:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Josh,

Where do you plan on racing? I'm in mass, and we race at Southwick and Jolly Rodgers in NH. If you plan on racing in Jolly, I would strongly suggest not running wheel spacers. Lots of jumps and really hard pack. As you extend a stock axle with wheel spacers you increase the amount of leverage you excert on the axle when you land. If you end up bending the stocker, you're out the money for the stocker and the spacers which is closer to price of an aftermarket one. Plus, even if you trail ride, the aftermarket axle will help the finincky handling of the banshee. Hope that helps a little and good luck. I'm in my first year of racing, in the novice class and I'm hooked.

Old 06-28-2002, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah Man, that is where I would be racing...same class as you.

I see what you mean about the spacers...hmmmm....wondering a cheap way to make the Banshee handle a little better though since I will probably get a 400 4 stroke if I like it.

Currently there are 6 Guys up here that go down and race. I think only 1 has a Raptor, but most race in the open class.

Are there many Banshee's there? Have you seen what they are running mods wise? I would of course be running in the Novice Class as well.

I'd like to hear all about it...do you have MSN Messanger or AOL (preferably MSN). If so and you don't mind chatting with a rookie you can email me your name at jlanphear@globalnetisp.net .

Thanks for the info man.

-Josh

Old 06-28-2002, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

Josh,

Glad to see you're getting into the sport. Just go down and try your hand at it on your quad now. You might be surprised. On the local level, I hardly ever placed out of the top 3 spots, and my Banshee was almost totally stock. I just sold my +2+1 Lonestars, and Works shocks for my Shee, so I've ridden with both. For the front, I dont recommend wheel spacers. And yes, turning your wheels around will make it wider, but the Banshee already is hard to get around corners, and that weird bumpsteer and offset would make it even worse. Flip the rear wheels though. Cheap, easy way to get width, and you dont have to change the valve stem. If you want some more info, i'm NiZmoR26 on AIM, and screamin350@hotmail.com will get you on my MSN acct.

Old 06-28-2002, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry about the late reply, but the stabilizer should run you anywhere from 120 to 160.

Old 06-28-2002, 12:50 AM
Trailblazer

I have a friend that put wheel spacer all the way around on his ex. we race MX and he has already bent his axle. I am not saying that this will happen to you or anyone else but it happened to him. He is just going to go ahead and get a durablue. But I would just flip you rear wheels out and try it like that then if you like it modify. I would definitly go with suspension before motor though. The banshee has plenty of power if you can get it to the ground.I know on my R I have a stock bore with cool head, reeds, and pipe but thats it. I ran a big bore last year and i miss the power but I have done a lot to my suspension and handling since last year and i feel a lot more comfortable now then i did last year on it. so i would go suspension first. hope this helps

Old 06-28-2002, 12:51 AM
Range Rover

Josh,

sent you a private message, my server would send you an email because it said that you didn't exist, maybe a typo on your post. don't know, but i sent it to your private message box.