Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

www.wyoduner.com

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2002, 09:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wyoduner.

Great site. Lots of good pics and videos. Was checking out some of the videos and noticed an extra number of cracks on Raptors. Duely noted as those could not do what others were doing. You could be a little nicer though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But anyway. For the Raptors that could not make it up choke cherry, what things did they have in common? Besides being Raptors or they were all blue. LOL. Tire size? V-strait paddle? Gearing? etc. Of course this question will only be answered if you know. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

If you aren't sure what mods they had. From the sightings you've seen and experience you have there. What type tires, gearing etc is required to make it up this hill?

Other than my quad being a Raptor (it is a black and white one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) do you feel I have a shot at making it up the hill?

Dynojet kit, 22x11x10 8 paddle haulers. Complete after market exaughst, K&N pro design filter, 12 tooth front and 41 tooth rear sprocket. Rider weight 240 lbs. TIA

Old 06-28-2002, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

wshrdskin, thanks for checking out my site. Yea, I was a little hard on the Raptors but I gotta be honest; they were entertaining to say the least. The funniest video was the guy on the super nice looking Basnhee. It honestly took him 20 minutes to back down that hill 1 inch at atime. See; I'm an equal opportunity abuser.

Anyway... All of the Raptors had pipes but I couldn't tell you more than that. I think the key on that hill is the paddles, virtually nobody with V paddles could make the hill. Straight paddles are mandatory almost. Also, the sand was pretty soft the day I took the videos.

Since you have a B/W Raptor you should be able to make it eventually [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I think in the sand in general it is wise to gear down a little to A) make up for the power you lose in the sand and B) to keep the gear spacing closer together. I think gearing and straight paddles are the key to the climbing the tough hills. What happens is that you get into a situation where 1st is too low and not giving enough speed but 2nd gear is too high and bogs out. Gear down and run straight paddles. Also, I'm a pretty big guy and I know that doesn't help getting up those hills.

Oh, did you like the montage I did with all of the raptors turning around 3/4 of the way up the hill??? Maybe that was a little harsh? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Since I used to own a Raptor and now a C-Dale, I will say a piped Raptor isn't gonna get up it w/ anybody over 130 lbs. I saw the C-Dale get up and I don't think w/ my weight I could get up it on mine. That hill is so steep and the sand is scary soft.. I'll show you plenty of hills at LS, Utah a piped and paddled Raptor won't get up!!

Old 06-28-2002, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider

<< Since I used to own a Raptor and now a C-Dale, I will say a piped Raptor isn't gonna get up it w/ anybody over 130 lbs. I saw the C-Dale get up and I don't think w/ my weight I could get up it on mine. That hill is so steep and the sand is scary soft.. I'll show you plenty of hills at LS, Utah a piped and paddled Raptor won't get up!! >>

Cool do you have any pics

Old 06-28-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

The unsuccessful hill climbs were directly related to those things on top of the seats!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2002, 04:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, from the videos. The hill doesn't look as steep as a 300' (guessing) hill we have off the 10 fwy out by Palm Springs. Date Palm ave. You only get about a 20' or so start and there is whoops right at the bottom. The hill isn't sand like the dunes but, it is sand (tiny little rocks and sand) none the less. With my holeshots and or stock tires I could climb that hill in 2nd gear with power all the way up. We shall see. Some of those DS's had they stayed in 2nd would have made it. The guy that almost tipped over was just fine until he shifted into 1st. Videos are hard to judge from. Once there I may choose to not even try. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] Yes I did see the montage. I was comfortable with going up and being able to turn around if needed. That is, until I saw the DS almost roll over. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] The sand does look soft. Maybe it will rain that day and I can say I beat Choke cherry. On a Raptor none the less. LOL Thanks everyone.

Sandgod, looking forward to the tour at LS.

Old 06-28-2002, 06:14 PM
Pro Rider

hey wshrdskin, is riding still allowed at White Water??

Old 06-28-2002, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Blue Leader you have a 686 and I'm sure you could get up it. My statement is from riding that hill. I'm not saying a 660cc piped and paddled Raptor won't get up, I just thinks it's unlikely.. I will try on my Stock C-Dale over the 4th of July as well as the Z-400....Just because I saw a C-Dale make it up doesn't mean I will. Rider weight and mods play the determining factor if riders are of equal skill. Two strokes get up no problem..

Old 06-28-2002, 10:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Blue leader. I have heard of people riding there. Others that were riding at date palm were there because they said people are getting run out of whitewater. Last time I was at Date Palm I saw some no tresspassing signs that I hadn't noticed before. Doesn't mean they weren't there before though. There was people riding besides ourselves. So your familiar with that hill I was talking of at date palm ave then? The one facing the freeway?

Old 07-01-2002, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

I just added a few more videos to my site in case anybody is interested... Just stuff at Walden, CO and not too exciting.

Anyway, straight paddles is a BIG factor in making chokecherry. The V paddled machines did very poorly.

Oh, BTW, the sand at St. Anthony is stacked as steep as sand can be. You can see it in some of the steeper dunes the way it slides down the hills. Chokecherry isn't the steepest hill there but is is pretty long and that is what makes it tough; also the last 50 feet or so are actually steeper than the rest of the hill and that's what get's most people. Some of the bigger bowls are steeper.