Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Works front shocks installed, but what shock for raptor rear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed works steelers triple rates up front in my raptor and I am thinking of going with the Mac Daddy kit for the rear from the quad shop in Kentucky. They told me it would perform just like an Elka dual rate with SSD. They also said that it would lower my rear end 2-3".

My questions are:
1) Will I need to lower the front if my rear drops 2-3"
2) Will using +2 a-arms lower the front?
3) Is there another way to improve your rear shock without losing ride height?

TIA,
-Jeff

Old 06-29-2002, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

The Mac kit is a sweet set-up for the money, I have it!

Did your Works fronts lower the front? Should of.

No, you don't have to lower the front if your rear drops.

Using extended a-arms will not necessarily lower your front more, it depends more on the shock valving.

The Mac kit can be made without the SSD, therefore will not drop the rear so much. But why would not want it to be lower? Most of the guys on here, including myself, will tell you the Rap rides way better when lowered. Just because it rides lower does not mean you loose travel. Actually, with the Mac kit and any "good" aftermarket shock for the Rap, it should sit lower and increase travel!

Anything else? J/J

Swy

Old 06-29-2002, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Works offers what the call a Heart Transplant for your stock rear Raptor shock that is supposed to substantial. I remember seeing a review of it in Dirt Wheel's. It's a lot cheaper thatn the Elka upgrade, but you may want to call Works and get some more information before you get too serious about the other guy's. I would be a little concerned about lowering the back 2"-3".

I have Works Tripple Rates on the front of my Raptor also. Still dragging my feet on the rear shock.

I hope this helped.

Old 06-30-2002, 11:56 PM
Trailblazer

I am just worried about sitting so low while riding through some rocky trails or having some kind of wierd imbalance with the front sittup higher than the rear. I mean if the rear is 2-3" lower and then I sit on it and it drops more that sounds like an awful lot.

Thanks for your input, any more comments? I am thinking of sending the rear shock out this week, was it a vast improvement over stock?

-jeff

Old 07-01-2002, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

papaluv,
Two things. First I have the Elka rear suspension. I love it. Dropped the rear end a ton. Actually took a while to get used to on the track. Spun out a couple of times because it slides so much better. Finally took it into the woods this weekend, been mostly on the track. It definitely is much stiffer in the woods then stock. Stock was much plusher. As far as being too low in the woods. The shock isn't going to lower swingarm height. Its only going to lower seat height, the only thing that will lower swingarm height is a lower hanging skid or smaller rear tires.
Second question, where are you in MA. I've only seen one other post on here from MA. Nice to see a local resource.

Old 07-01-2002, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider

Which way are you going papaluv?? Are you goin to do the Elka upgrade??

Old 07-01-2002, 04:38 PM
Trailblazer

Raptorguy: Thanks for the input that's what I was looking for! I am in Tewksbury, MA. I ride mostly in southern N.H. cuz I'm so close to the border and there isn't much near me anymore (new housing developments). The N.H. areas are Londonderry and Rockingham. Raptorguy what do you have in the front for shocks/a-arms?

GregV: I got quoted $315 for the rear shock from the quad shop and I believe it is an Elka upgrade as that is what they advertise on their website. Plus he said it would take only 2-3 day turnaround time.

-Jeff

Old 07-01-2002, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

That ain't too bad. Let me know how everything goes, I may need to spend a little bit more money.

Old 07-02-2002, 01:14 PM
Range Rover

The elka suspension ran me $325. I've done nothing up front yet. Too pricey. My buddy just picked up a Z400 so he's selling his raptor. He's trying to get me to buy his front end. He's got the rezzy elkas and lonestar + 3s but that is too rich for my blood. Just ordered a set of 19x6x10 holeshots for the front. Got a race on Sunday, hopefully I'll have them in time. That's cheap way for now of lowering the front. I'll let you know how I like them.

Derek

Old 07-02-2002, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

just keep this in mind, you get what you paid for... i've had my triple works since march and the bushings were shot in them. had to order direct through works for them. and they are not to customer friendly. just an opinion.

Quick Reply: Works front shocks installed, but what shock for raptor rear?