Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor starter turns into third gear out.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The starter on my brothers 02 raptor went out a few weeks ago. It was under warranty so he took it in to get replaced. Of course when he went back to get it on the date the dealership stated it would be done, they told him they were swamped and they hadn't even looked at it because they do warranty work last. They promised him it would be done last wednesday so he could ride this passed weekend and go to little saharah for the 4th. This time, they said they looked at it and that third gear was going out. They told him they couldn't even get the part til around the 12th. So in conclusion, the trip in not happening and he hopes its done sometime in the next month. He's not to happy.

Old 07-03-2002, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

Another Raptor blows second or third gear.
Wonder why Yamaha doesn't see this as a problem? < crap load of sarcasome
Do you think it would cost Yamaha Millions to have a recall? < crap load of sarcasome
I wonder why a manufacturer would feel the need to replace the "bad gears" in a perfectly good working transmission? .. as they would say.?
go figure.

Old 07-04-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

trent,

I would very seriously consider picking the quad up from that particular dealer and take it elsewhere.

* First off, dealers "telling" you, after the fact, that warranty work comes last, is completely unacceptable. In my mind anyway.

** Second, if 3rd gear was going, your brother surely would have known this by one of a multitude of symtoms.

Face it, your brothers already screwed for his 4th of July ride, so why continue to allow this dealership to bend you over?

I would bet $$$$$$ money, that if there really was a tranny problem and knowing this dealer is already setting false expectations. This dealer WILL NOT cover the tranny fix in it's entirety. They will pay for parts and your brother will be stuck paying for the most expensive portion of the job, THE LABOR.

Unfortunately, there are way too many poor quality Yamaha dealerships, but I, like many, have had to weed out the poor until you find a good one. Most of us (and I can speak for a good deal of the 01 Raptor owners) have just decided to purchase a shop manual and do the work themselves. BY NO MEANS, am I saying your brother should tear into the bottom half of his 02 Raptor under warranty, but after warranty a person with good mechanical skills and the manual can perform a good "portion of work" on the Rap.

Start asking around, to other riding buddies, if they know of another Yamaha dealership in your area. If you find another, pick up the bike immediately and tell that dealership to bend over and ask them how it feels? If thier soooo busy, then they won't mind!

Good luck,
Swy

Old 07-04-2002, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

Swy,
I rode it a couple days bfore the starter went out and it was shifting fine. My brother is pretty mechanically inclined and never noticed anything either. The first time he went to the dealer ship to pick it up, he threatened to call yamaha, and that is when they promised the next wednesday. This is the dealership where he bought it and it is about a 85 mile drive one way.
Does anyone have Yamaha's number to call them? I am going to check the owners manual to see if it is in it. The two next closest shops are about 100 and 120 miles one way.
Thanks.
Trent

Old 07-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

Trent,

Again, I would suspect that the tranny is OK, especailly if you or your brother did not notice anything different. I personally have not heard of any 02 tranny failures, just a whole bunch of 01's including mine well over a year ago.

Here is Yamaha's Customer Service number 1-800-962-7926, don't expect much help from them, trust me.

As I mentioned before, I would in NO WAY let that particular dealer work on it, even if it does mean a long drive. Just so you know, you NEVER have to take it to the dealer it was purchased from, even if that dealer told you different.

Once you get the starter fixed, post back so others can learn from your misfortune.

Good luck,
Swy

Old 07-05-2002, 08:38 PM
Trailblazer

My brother went to the dealership today to see about his raptor. If the starter was on he was going to just pick it up. of course it was not. They then lied to my brother and told him that they did not say anything about the transmission and that it was just the starter. this was after he told them he thought they were full of it. they then told him they said the 17th instead of the 12th, witch was a load of crap. My brother got mad and ended up telling them off and how they was screwing him infront of all the customers in the store. He checked with the two other dealers and they told him they didn't have a clue when they could get the starter.
He then called the number above for yamaha and they told him they had none in the warehouse and that they never knew when they were going to produce any. they told him they would get back with him. He asked them if it would be tomorrow or the next couple of days and they said they didn't know. He told them everything that had happened and that them not knowing when they were going to get back with him was not good enough. He told them that a $6500 machine was pretty pointless if it's broke and no clue of when it will get fixed. They just kept telling him sorry.
He then got another # for yamaha's main headquarters. He told the receiptionist that he wanted to talk with someone that could actually do something. She told him the highest there today was the manager of customer service, but he was out of his office. My brother told her he was going to call back every half hour until he was reached.
He got a hold of the manager and told him the whole sorry and that if they didn't do anything he was switching to honda, and also a friend was going to buy a raptor today with my brother but is going to wait to see what they do. The manager told him to hang on a minute. after about fifteen he came back on the phone and told my brother it would be fixed my thursday. There are going to put a 01 bendix and gear in it until this winter or whenever convinient with my brother to take it back and get new one in it. The manager gave my brother his office number and told him to call him if he ever has any other problems. He told him to call the local dealer and tell them he knew it was going to be fixed by thursday. The totally had a different attitude when my brother called them.

We'll see on thursday if everyone keeps their word!

Sorry this post was so long!

Old 07-05-2002, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

I had a similiar problem with my 2001 Wolverine ..I baught it and three weeks later the headlight went out .Being under warranty I took it back to the dealership, They replaced the headlight and the next dayw ehn I started the Wolverine the other headlight was out,So I took it to the dealership and they replaced the second headlight, well one week later the first one I had replaced went out again,So I took it back to the dealership and they replaced the first one again..Well the next mroning after not riding it I started it up and the second Headlight did not work. Tired of bringing this Atv back and forth to the same dealership for the fourth time I was steamed when I walked in the door.I told them it was being fixed today and finally be done with. the Manager of the dealership said I was cause the headlights to go out. So I called the Manager's boss whom I luckily knew and he came down on the Manager. Come to find out the Manager in order to save a few bucks was only replacing the light bulb ..Not the problem ..the headlight housing had not sealed correctly from the factory and were allowing water into the housing and causing the bulbs to burn out when activated.
The point of this story is Never settle for the low guy on the todem poles advice or opinion.
He is trying to make good with the owner by saving the owner a few bucks and or bottom line.
9 times out of 10 the Owner never even knows there is a problem because the news of the problem stops with the Manager and never makes it that far.

Old 07-05-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Trent,

As much as I hate to say it, Yamaha's customer service has not gotten any better then the day I purchased my 01 Rap back in mid 2000. Unfortunately, I keep hearing horror stories and they seem to just get worse.

Remeber this when you feel the need to purchase another quad, I know I WILL!!!

Regarding the parts being on back order, many parts have been and will continue to be from Yamaha. Why? Because they built some poor designs in the 01 and way too many are having to be fixed. Try to get a hold of a complete 02 tranny, every month one part or another will be on back order unless you just happen to get really lucky.

ARE YOU LISTENING YAMAHA? I know, you don't care, but you will eventually!

Swy

Old 07-05-2002, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

I too am in the same boat as far as waiting on parts from Yamaha --- and yes it is for the infamous '01 Raptor tranny failure. Mine went out on 6/22 and we are waiting on the '02 tranny parts. Out of the 21 parts that we need to convert it over to the '02 ratio's - we have them all but 3! Don't know when they will be released either...

Old 07-05-2002, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

eRAPTOID,

Not to add insult to injury, but I have a complete 2001 tranny in good shape I will sell ya. Interested? I didn't think so!

But I do have an entire 01 tranny in good shape.

I had to wait about 4 weeks to get just the 02 reverse gear, as they had all of the parts except that one freakin gear. This was back about 7-8 weeks ago.

Good luck fella's!

Quick Reply: Raptor starter turns into third gear out.