Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Another Valve Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone-

I adjusted the valves on my Raptor for the first time yesterday. What a pain in the butt! Trying to get that same drag feel across all 3 intake valves using a pair of needle nose and a wrench took forever. Anyway, my question is the exhaust valves. How in the he11 do you get anywhere near those to check/adjust them. I removed fenders and tank. It doesn't seem to matter, I just can't reach them. Any help would be appreciated.

Anyone have any tips on adjusting the drag feel for any of the valves would be a appreciated too! Seems I kept going between too tight, and too loose. My dads a mechanic, but lives too far away to come over. He said to set it up to where it was about a 3 pound pull. Anyway, how have you guys adjusted yours?

Thanks for everyone's help in advance.

Old 07-06-2002, 04:32 PM
Pro Rider

The Exhaust valves are a bear to get to but you just have to work at it. I've checked my valves 4 times now & the exhausts have always been in spec but the intakes have needed adjustment every time.

I just hold the adjusting stud with pliers as I tighten the lock nut & it stays put. Motion pro makes a tool for this that will make it easier. It's some thing you have to do a lot to get the proper feel for it.
I've had plenty of pratice in the last 25 years adjusting valves on my hot rod VWs.

Old 07-06-2002, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider

I used shim stock material, and just cut a narrow enough strip to insert it into the exhaust valves. I just snugged the screw down on the shim strip and torqued er' down. It is a major pain! My tip would be to leave the shim in until you have tightened up the nut. Then check your drag. Get yourself the shortest 10mm wrench you can find. You can do the exhaust valves with the plastic and everything assembled.

Old 07-07-2002, 04:36 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info. I'll check into the tool. I had bought one from the local yamaha shop, they said it would work on the Raptor (sales guy even asked their mechanic before I shelled out the $18), anyway, it doesn't fit. The exhaust valves really are a pain. I'll figure it out. I got the intakes pretty close. I set them to .13 mm. It seems to run better, and the front end is pulling up again in 2nd gear. When I checked them, I couldn't get the .08 mm feeler gauge in there, so they must of really tightened up. I put right under 20 hours in before I did the full maintenance. I'm going to check them again in 10 hours, so make sure they aren't so tight. BTW- put on the full PRM skids at the same time, those really fit nice. Thanks again for the input!