Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor squeak noise driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a major squeak in the rear of my quad. It sounds like where the shock pivots. I completely disassembled my rear shock from the quad, greased all the joints and put it back together. I do not know what else to do about this. Is it possible that the shock itself is bad and making that squeak? Once I put the shock back in, I sprayed PB blaster on all the joints in the rear, and it is still squeaking. Any ideas?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2002, 06:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

the squeak is the swing arm bushings.I too had that problem try spraying the end dust covers on the swingarm at the frame.

Old 07-06-2002, 07:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

The squeak that I am hearing seems to be more to the top of the shock. Almost where is connects to the frame. The swing are is low. What dust covers are you talking about? Where are they?
Thanks for the reply.

Old 07-06-2002, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Take some WD-40 and spray it on the top shock mount. Its the rubber mount
squeaking. I did this every ride for about the first 4-5 times I did it, now I only need
to about every third ride. Hope this helps you out.

Old 07-06-2002, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I did spray it when I had it apart and after I put it back together. What is weird is when the squeak started I decided to pull the shock out and grease all the joints. Once I put it back together, it was fine. Then I went out riding for about an hour and the squeak came back. I then proceeded to spray the upper and lower shock pivot points. The squeak still did not go away. So after getting very frustrated with this I pulled the shock completly out again to make sure everything was greased up real good and then put it back together. The squeak was gone again but I know that it will be back. It is very hard to ride with that noise. Thanks for all the input and if anyone has anymore ideas, please post them. I think the squeak will be back soon.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

I'm having the same squeak from the upper shock mount.
I was thinking that the next time I have the upper shock bolt out I'd grind a 1/8" groove all the way around the shock bolt where the shock bearing rides & that groove should hold grease in there longer.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Me too. If for some reason you find out it is the swingarm bushings they are the same size as the needle bearings that are in it. Last time I put bearings in mine I replaced the bushing with bearings as well. I don't know if it help the longivity of them but it can't hurt.

Old 07-07-2002, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

I used to have the same problem and tried the same things you guys have mentioned. To start (I learned this from a couple of others), WD-40 should not be used on rubber. Which means do not use it on the rubber shock mounts. It actually expands the rubber, helps for a bit, but comes back squeeking the same if not more. I then was told to use a special Lithium grease which is compatible with rubber. Used it one time on the rubber mounts and no more squeek.

If it wasn't so late right now, I would give you the name of the brand I'm using. I will dig it out tomorrow and give you guys the name tomorrow.

You have to use a lubricant that is rubber compatible (WD-40 is NOT), so it will not swell the rubber component!

Swy

Old 07-07-2002, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that the upper shock mount is rubber. When I had it apart there were sleeves on the outside that pulled out and in the center there was a pivot point for the bolt to go through and grease seals on both ends. I think the front shock mounts have a rubber bushing though.

Old 07-08-2002, 07:21 AM
Pro Rider

Kodiaks do that too. Simple. Do not over tighten the upper shock mount. The nuts are lockers. Just back them off 1 flat from factory tightness. You will see. Mine and 2 of my friends never sqeeked again.

Quick Reply: Raptor squeak noise driving me nuts.