Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

SO how far and long can you ride a wheelie?!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2002, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the topic explains it all but how far and long can you ride one?

Old 07-18-2002, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

about 3-5 sec...im not that good at it...i guess it depends how u do it. I just pop the clutch in...it hard for me to do it by just flooring it in first. anyone else?

Old 07-18-2002, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

How long of a stretch do you have? Power up in 1st or 2nd and just keeps going......and going.......and going.......and going.....and(well you get the point right).

Just Play With It A Little!!

Old 07-18-2002, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Warrior86,

I'm guessing that you have a Warrior. My buddy has one and I have got to play with it a little bit. They are pretty good wheelie quads...I didn't want to risk going over backwards on it, so I have only fooled with wheelies a few times.

To me, it's pretty easy to start out in first going slowly. Hammer the gas and pull back on the bars (you can start standing, but make sure you get sitting back down before the front comes up). At the top of first with the front way up in the air I shift into second and ride that out. I have not yet got it into 3rd, but that is because of the risk of going over backwards on my buddies quad...I don't want to break anything on it. Anyway, I know that if I would get the front end up a little higher before going into 3rd I could get it to stay up. Maybe I'll try it sometime.

Now, since you say you aren't very good at wheelies the whole shifting thing maybe not be possible just yet. If not, 2nd gear is a good gear to start your wheelies in. Get the quad to the base of the powerband (since the warrior is a 4 stroke, it's hard to feel the base of the powerband, but I'm guessing you can tell). Anyway, I like standing up at first but try whatever you want. Hit the gas at the base of the powerband and pull up. You'll eventually feel the "balance point" (the point where you feel on the verge of going over backwards). You'll have to do it over and over to get used to it, but eventually you'll be able to ride a pretty decent wheelie through all of 2nd gear.

When you get the feel for the balance point then you can try shifting. Like I said, it's pretty easy to go from 1st to 2nd. In order to shift you have to get the quad a little bit passed the balance point because the front will drop slightly. Then you've got to be quick getting back on the gas, but if you hit it to hard you might go over. Just takes practice.

The good news is that if you are in a field or something the grab bar should stop you from going all the way back. However if you are going at a good rate when you go over the rear fenders will probably drag along the ground and it won't do them much good (never had them break though).

Anyway, wheelies are a lot of fun. I'm by far not an expert, but I have been practicing for a while and I feel that I get better every time I do them.

Just practice and be careful man. The warrior is a good wheelie quad...most 4 strokes are.

-Josh

Old 07-18-2002, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

The longest wheelie I've had on my Sportsman is about 55 yards.

Old 07-18-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

How much gas do you have?

Old 07-18-2002, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

660 ft. aka. 1/8 mile in aledo.

Old 07-18-2002, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

Half a mile on my 300EX on the road, quarter mile on grass. Anyone else?

Old 07-18-2002, 11:27 PM
Pro Rider

I can ride a wheelie on My DS650 as long as I want if there is a nice long smooth field, with no bumps, but I can only ride them in 2nd gear. Can someone please tell me how to shift?

The Raptor is the easiest machine to ride wheelies on that I have ever been on, so far.

Old 07-19-2002, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

I have a Raptor and I can wheelie as long as I want even on bumpy field or smooth field. I don't like riding wheelie on pave road because it's dangers and it gives more damage on your quad!! I can wheelie untill 4th gear. Raptor is the king of wheelie! I have wheelie on 400EX before and they are not that great on wheelies because of gearings are too short.
See ya,
Dusty

Quick Reply: SO how far and long can you ride a wheelie?!?