Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rocky Mountain Sent me Some messed up tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 02:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can see how a $5 per hour gas station fool could hammer your rim with a massive hydrolic tire changer. That would suck![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 07-24-2002, 02:33 PM
Pro Rider

<< I can see how a $5 per hour gas station fool could hammer your rim with a massive hydrolic tire changer. That would suck! >>

Geez, they are paying them good enough so they should be able to do a good job [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . $5/hour would be sweet! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, if it were my I think I'd just send them back to Rocky Mtn. if I could afford to wait for them to send the others back. Unless you have a decent guy around you that you trust to change them I would do it. If somebody screws your rim up or rips your tire you are out of luck cause Rocky mountain won't reimburse ya and more than likely the shop that did it will say it wasn't their fault.

But hey, you know your situation better than me...I just know how some of those overpaid gas station guys are around here.

-Josh

Old 07-24-2002, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider

Remember, I said Tire Shop. Someone who specializes in mounting and un-mounting tires.

They will use the same machine they use for aluminum rims. It doesn't touch the rim.

The dude that had his rims screwed up may have had them tightened onto the machine too tightly. That alone will throw them out of balance.

Just stick with the experts, pay the $30 to get it done right. Here are some generic tire machines. You don't want them to use the first one listed. You want them to use #2 or #3. (In fact, my dad owns one similar to #1 and I would do it myself on that machine, but it more likely to have a monkey operating it than someone who knows what they are doing.....).

Good Luck,

RM

Old 07-24-2002, 07:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Geez, where do you guys go to get tires mounted? $30.00? Rocky mountain charges $10.00 per tire and Chapparal charges $12.00. I'm sure your local ATV shop will be in that ball park. Take it to your local ATV shop and have them flip the tire on the rim. Contact RMATV before hand and see if they will reimburse you, if not then $10-$15 VS a 2 week wait is worth it, IMO.

Old 07-24-2002, 08:47 PM
Pro Rider

Wow. The local tire shop here charges $8 to mount ATV tires. I guess i'm lucky.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

Ummmm, right. I was giving the Canadian price.......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2002, 10:46 AM
Pro Rider

shops in my neck of the woulds might not touch it at all...if you did'nt buy the tires from them or the rim you might be replacing don't bother. Gas station people scare me.

Old 07-25-2002, 11:18 AM
Pro Rider

Be very careful when having not motorcycle/atv shops mount and un-mount atv tires. Automobile machines are designed to do cars and trucks. About the smallest rim you will find on a car is a 10 incher. Anything smaller than that, and those machines can damage your tire in the bead area. They tend to stretch your bead way to far. Since the machine has plenty of power, the operator does not notice, or worse, tears your bead and does not tell you.
I suggest you invest in a manual bead breaker and some tire irons/spoons and learn the art of manual tire changing. Aftermarket rims are a cinch to break the bead on and I can change an old tire for a new one in about 10 minutes. An added bonus is that your friends will want you to do their tires for them. My buddies always bring over a nice cold sixxer to help make the job a little easier.

Old 07-25-2002, 01:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I also wondered why the Razr'z are directional!

RoostKing...

Old 07-25-2002, 07:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Are the Razors radial tires? If so, that may explain the directional thing. ??

Quick Reply: Rocky Mountain Sent me Some messed up tires