Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha Kodiak (How much is it worth.)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Mar
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys.

Im thinking of Trading a 2000 Kodiak ultramatic in for a New Blaster.

Im not sure of the pricing for a blaster and i dont have a clue what the kodiak is worth. Would it be close to a even trade. If not how much more will i have to throw in.

The kodiak is in good condition. All suspention components are good, bushings are replaced, and after a really good cleaning and some armor all it will be mint. Only thing thats wrong with it is there is a dent in the front brush bar from a minor tree incedent. Its very minor but there is a dent. It also has a winch. The engine is in real good condition runs great.

So what do you think.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

You can buy new Blasters around here for $2,800.00 plus tax and if your kodiak is in mint condition with minimal hours, I don't see where an even trade would be too out of line. JMO

Old 07-23-2002, 05:58 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

On the yamaha website it says 3100us so 2800 sounds resonable.

My kodiak doesnt have low hours. I would say it has a fair share of riding on it. However there is no odometer. Does yamaha have a way to check the hours on this machine or the milage. If not i will just say it has low hours.

The engine like i said before runs great. I took real good care of the engine and did all the oil changes. Just last year i changed all the front end bushings and the steering bushings.

I also got ITP rims and goodyear mudrunners on it with steel a-arm gaurds.

So what do you think.

Old 07-23-2002, 07:49 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

I just came home from the dealer.

It turns out that I can trade in my 2000 Kodiak and get a blaster with $150.00 to spare.

So i can get the blaster.

But I have never even seen a blaster i would like to know a little bit about it.

I would keep the engine stock and it would be taken care of and driven not hard but not easy. Will the engine last for 2 years with out a problem (Not asking for garrenties just asking for opinion or experiences.) Also how long does the chain last and how hard is it to tighten the chain.

Is it worth it. Like I said before the kodiak is ok bike. The engine is great but everyone else has sport bikes and it is getting hard for the kodiak to keep up with the crap they do. Jumping, speed.

And final question. How is the blaster for trips. How does it hold up during a 50km trip lets say. and what is the fuel econamy on one tank of gas. Thanks.

Old 07-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

I have never personaly owned a Blaster but I have a couple of road dogs who do and those things are bullet proof! I've seen those things rolled down hills, fliped over backwards, and just plain neglected, and they keep on ticken. Theres not another sport quad on the market that compares at a price of $2,800,00. And I don't think to many will argue with me.
If you don't throw on a whole bunch of big engine mods it will last alot longer than two years without having any problems. As far as adjusting the chain it's a little old school but it's not that bad. Driving it long distances is no problem, just remember not to let it sit and idle for long periods of time, its air cooled. Other then that, just have fun!

Jay

Old 07-23-2002, 09:53 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Mar, I'm in Mississauga too.

What are they giving you in Canadian dollars, or what is the Blaster retailing for in Canada? What dealer do you deal with?

The other thought I had would be to sell your Kodiak privately. There is a big demand in the used market, and seem to go for top dollar.

I've got an '01 Kodiak that I may consider trading in. Mine is well used too, but runs great and has lots of extras.

Where do you ride?

Old 07-23-2002, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

I'd get a banshee if I was you

Old 07-24-2002, 12:26 AM
Mar
Pro Rider

I ride near bellville.

The 2003 blaster is going for $4800.00CDN The 2000Kodiak is going for $4950.00. Because im trading there is no tax because there is no diffrence in price. Shipping is $160.00.

And i Got a banshee. Like i said before its for my younger brother. Hes pretty small and would fit perfect on a blaster.

I was still a little sceptical but after hear what some of you said about it being a good value and being bullet proof i will definitly move ahead on it.

2tall i got the 2000 kodiak back in 1999. It was one of the first made and i got it on a yamaha introduction promotion. I got it for around 7800 brand new. It was a steel. The engine in the bike is bullit profe but the suspention sucks. bushings fail quickly and start squeeking. THen they start getting play. Over all it was a good bike but its time is done. I would have to spend some money on it and i would rather get a sport bike since thats what all my bros friends are doing. I was totally honest with the sales guy. I told him what was wrong with it and what was good with it. So the 4950.00 price is probably avrage.