Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizz 1" of lift for free!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:13 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just on another forum and a member there has flipped his rear spindles on the back of his Grizz which gave him an inch of lift. He measured the angles before and after and seems to think this will not hurt his bike. Has anyone here tried this and what were the resullts? Ten minutes worth of work, four bolts, no $$$ and an extra inch of clearence.....sound almost too good to be true?

Old 07-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Range Rover

Which thread was that? I would like to read it. Do you happen to remember? I tried searching for it with all manner of combinations. I could not find it.

Thanks for your help.

Old 07-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Range Rover

Hey Ratman, that thread is on a different forum, email me and I will send you a link.
rshervill@yahoo.com

Old 07-24-2002, 12:03 PM
Range Rover

Can you send it to me with a Private Message (PM) ?

Old 07-24-2002, 01:48 PM
Range Rover

RyGuy660 brought up a nice point.

Here is the verbiage on that other post, as well as a website mentioned that shows the modifications.

Does anyone else have any input? Pros, Cons, cautions, etc.

__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

A member on another site brought this up a few days ago and I thought I would share it here.
Jack up the rear of the grizz and take the rear wheels off. Then with a 17mm socket on the nylok nut and a 14mm on the bolt, remove the two horizontal bolts holding the a-arms to the rear knuckle. Rotate the knuckle 180 degrees and bolt back together. Repeat on other side and remount tires. Thats it, and you have now 1" more ground clearance.
For all those worrywarts out there(myself included), I used an angle meter before and after on the driveshafts to see the degree change. Here is what I came up with.
before - 22 degrees w/ 13" clearance, preloads on middle setting
after - 26 degrees w/ 14" clearance, preloads on middle setting
As you can see, not a huge change. Also measured the front axleshaft angles for curiosity and they came out to 24 degrees.
p.s. have a look at pic #21 to see what I'm babbling about

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4291875687

WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This modification will only humiliate honda owners further. To be used at your own discretion.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________________

Any comments?

Old 07-24-2002, 02:41 PM
Range Rover

Anyone know where those fender flares for the Grizzly are from? Those are sweet looking and just what I need for my Outlaws. Thanks in advance.

- Adam

Old 07-24-2002, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

I'm pretty sure they are the Yamaha overfender kit.
RyGuy

Old 07-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Range Rover

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll check into them right now!

- Adam

Old 07-24-2002, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Everytime i see that Blue Grizzly it gives me that crazy feeling like I'm falling in love!
I have to have the blue grizzly, man is it nice looking! I'm not far from Canada either, I would just rather spend my money over here.

Old 07-24-2002, 10:21 PM
Range Rover

Well, since I started this post I figured I'd let everyone know how it worked. (did the "flip" about 10 min. ago) You DO get at least an inch, The bike looks WAY better (always seemed too high at the front), Drive shaft angles seem to be acceptable, * BUT * (you knew there had to be one!) the stock rims will rub slightly against the upper arm when the suspension is at full extension (back end jacked right off of the ground) I don't know if this is a problem because there is always some weight on the machine and when it does rub it barely touches. I'd appreciate you guys letting me know what you think.

Quick Reply: Grizz 1" of lift for free!