Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine in the mtns ?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was wondering how the wolverine does in the mountains.
Will be doing some steep rocky sections at a crawl.
Was worried about gearing being low enough without having a dual range.

thanks

dan

Old 07-24-2002, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't answer the gearing question, but if you are riding in high altitudes you will need leaner jetting......

Old 07-24-2002, 11:53 PM
wyd
Range Rover

I had no problem with my Wolverine in rocky areas. It was geared low enough to crawl over them pretty easily. I would put a skidplate on and eventually change the tires. Other than that probably a exhaust and a new Pro Design air filter system.

My Wolverine was pretty cool. I race around alot more and don't ride so many rocky trails so now I have a Warrior. The Wolverine was a really good machine and I would buy another one if the right deal came along.

Old 07-25-2002, 02:31 AM
Trailblazer

Also talking 9,000 to 14,000 feet altitude, so will have power loss.

Old 07-25-2002, 12:20 PM
Pro Rider

I have taken mine from around 1100 to around 8000 and have had no power loss or jetting problems.
First gear is plenty low enough, I usually skip it all together cause its so low.

Old 07-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Trailblazer

i think the only time the wolverines gears arent low enough is if you are totally stuck in the mud and cant turn the tires and if you are trying to tow something really heavy,i live in the foothills of north carolina and ride in the mountains all the time,its not nearly as high as you are going,in fact the highest mountain here is right at a mile high,which is half of what you are talking,wouldnt hurt to carry jets with you just in case,or just pull the air box lid off and see if that helps

Old 07-28-2002, 12:27 PM
Range Rover

Pitkin1,

Do you live in Pitkin, Colorado? I spent 8 days there last year riding with the guys, one of which has a new Wolverine. We all took turns riding it, and we all felt that it was pretty under powered at that altitude. It does fine in first (and second) gear when crawling over stuff, but it has trouble even holding 4th or 5th gear on the forest roads. My buddy that owns it wishes he had bought something else... They are known for being very reliable, and seems to be well thought out, but 350cc just doesn't cut it at 10,000 feet. The Vinson sounds like a nice alternate choice. We just got back from a 3 day scouting trip at 9,600 - 11,000 feet looking for he spot for this year's trip. I rode the Wolverine all day, and couldn't keep up with everybody on any kind of forest road. I also don't really feel good riding something at full throttle in every gear just to try and maintain my speed.

P.S.- It was fun riding into Pitkin every couple of days, and sitting on the bench in front of the General Store. I felt just like one of the old men in the old Petticoat Junction TV show that sits in the rocking chair watching the world come and go. We got to be regulars, and gave directions to everyone 4 wheeling in the area.

Good luck,
Lorrin

Old 07-28-2002, 01:27 PM
Trailblazer

i would like to know where in the mountains you can go full throttle in 4th and 5th gear,i sure cant go that fast on any trails around here,wolverine has a top speed of 55,i doubt that the vinson is much faster if at all,yea it'll have a bit more low end power ,but at 230lbs,i can pull any hill i care to,if you cant keep up with a wolverine then you are going down long smooth straight streches for quite a distance,even then,most people dont go down roads at 65 on a utility,if you want a big bore for the torque then go for it,but on the trails,the wolverine can keep up with anything,it may not be first,but it wont be far behind

Old 07-28-2002, 11:43 PM
Trailblazer

leel,

I don't live in Pitkin yet, but may someday and do own two 10 acre claims above town. One is at 12,000 feet, if you have been to the base of Fairview Peak that has the stone builing at the top, then you drove across it. I spend 5 or 6 weeks in Pitkin a year, a week at a time. Some of that is in winter snowmobiling. It is a great place.

Been riding dirtbikes and snowmobiles there for 12 years. Do Hancock, Tincup and Tomichi passes, Mount Antero and side trails and some single tracks.

dan

edit: and I live 1300 miles away in northeast Indiana

Old 08-01-2002, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

Pitkin1,

Yep, sorry I rode across your property :*). Doing Antero pass this summer, did all of the others except Tomichi last year (ran out of time). We got a map of the mining claims when we there last year, a lot of interesting history in that place...

Good luck,
Lorrin