Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blew up Banshee motor, rebuild or buy new one

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 11:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was out riding my motor seized. I opened it up and split the cases, and the right piston has knicks on it as well as the head dome. The lower rod bearing is shot. What could have caused this?Advanced timing or overheated/revved? Anyways can I have a someone replace the rod bearings or would I need to buy a new crank? Also should I get my cylinders rebored or just honed because the damage suprisingly isn't too bad?

How much would a new or rebuilt motor cost with or without an exchange? I saw an ad from TDR that said "Banshee Motor $792"; this a rebuild or a whole new motor? I also went to eastcoastatv.com and it said a rebuild one -electrics $1500.

Also, how much should a used flywheel, stator, wire harness go for?

Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-05-2002, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

Blasterwhodi,If I were you you I'd rebuild the engine you have.I recently had my engine rebuilt with a wiseco piston.A turnkey rebuild cost me 280$$,A banshee will cost some more.If all you need is honing,that is what you should do,unless you want some more cc's.Boring is a more expensive procedure.You could save some money by doing the tear down and assembly yourself.I just did not have the confidence that I could assmble my engine properly.It really should not be that bad.

Be prepared to adjust the jetting after your break in.The wiseco pistons allow more air into the cylinder,leanig out your original mixture.

I love my sport 400L,but I have ridden a Banshee,WOW,they are bada$$.I guess the wieght and auto help tame the 378cc polaris 2 stroke.Later

98 Sport 400L
RCR stage 1
HPD clutch
HSP 42mm flatside
V force delta reed cage
Wiseco piston.

Old 08-05-2002, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

Wiesco offers complete recipocating assemblies (crank, rods, pistons). You can buy their crank already assembled, all new with rods, then buy a set of their pistons. The only machine work will be boring the cylinders. If it was me, I would send my stock crank to a atv engine builder (FTZ, Trinity, etc.) and have new rods installed. I would then have them true and weld the crank since the engine is ported. This will keep the crank from flying apart. Send your head and cylinders with the crank. Have the head cleaned up, and possibly even cut down for more compression. Grab a new set of next oversize pistons, and have your cylinders bored. This combo should hold together great.

By the way, your lower bearing went out and pieces of the bearing found their way to the topend. The pieces of hard steel bearing is what pecked up your piston/head. Clean the pipes out good because there is probably pieces of bearing in them.

If you decide to get a replacement engine, I would be interested in yours. If you want to keep the ported cylinders, I would also be interested in just the bottom end. E-mail Sandric@go.com