Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Banshee - Pros/Cons

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 12:37 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for another quad, I have a Honda 400EX and I love it. Now I'm ready to add another ATV to my family. I'm looking for some pros and cons to owning a banshee. I know with my 4 Stroke maintenance is pretty basic, how is it on the banshee. I do all types of riding, we own 160 acres and I have a 1 mile track setup with a verity of terrain. How reliable is a banshee? Please feel free to give more feedback than just what I asked. The reason I'm asking about a banshee is because I can get a great deal on one if I act quickly.

Thanks,

Old 08-06-2002, 12:53 PM
Mar
Pro Rider

Get the banshee

It is a very reliable bike. I have put zero money into mine. Just use a good oil like Amsoil.

Second. The suspention is somewhat rough but you can get used to it. The power is insane definitly not a beginner bike. Just play it cool with the throttle and you will enjoy every miniute of ownership.

Old 08-06-2002, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

How long have you owned yours? What year is it?

Old 08-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

I used to own a 93 and now I own a 2003. I have a raptor and a ds, both nice bikes, but the shee is a different beast.

I bought mine, because after every trip to the dunes (and I am a dune addict) I come home wishing I had a shee.

I bought it because the modifications are endless and the amount of power you can make is phenomenal.

I would probably choose a 4 stroke for most riding, but for duning the 2 strokes still rule the roost in my opinion.

I cant really tell you how reliable it is, only had it a week.

If you take care of it it will take care of you. If you keep a shee you will eventually have to do some engine maintenance like rings and pistons, but you will also probably want to do major mods to really wake it up.

Later
Bat

Old 08-06-2002, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Maintenance is pretty basic. Run a good premix, keep the oil changed in the trans, keep the filter clean(get rid of stock filter). The chain adjustment is a royal pain but if you do it right you won't have to fool with it unless you buy another chain or make sprocket changes. The suspension is so so depending on your size. Works shocks made a workd of difference in mine in how it handles and rides. The price wasn't bad either. As for rebuilds that will be relative to how you ride and what kind of maintenance you do on it. I've had mine for 7 years and only had to do the top end in it twice. First time it didn't need it but it was getting ported so I had it bored at the same time. Then again about 3-4 yrs later had some more port work done so I went to .060 over then. Good tires make it a better quad too. It has it's pitfalls like anything, but it has proven to be a very good machine. My dad and I both have one and we do all kinds of riding. Trails, duning, track, and horsein around in general. Mods are only limited by your wallet and willingness to part with what's in it!

Old 08-06-2002, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Batoutahell pretty much.

I also bought mine for Dune action only as that's were they shine the best. Mine has probably only seen the dirt once in the 8-9 years since I've owned it.

I too also bought it because it's fairly easy to modify, new & used parts are everywhere and the rush you get when the power comes-on/hits..... It's an "E" ticket ride that no 4 stroke can offer.

Maintenance isn't that bad, I've rebuilt the top-end once since I've owned mine.

Like Batoutahell, I also would choose a 4 stroke for most all-around riding, but for the dunes 2 strokes are pure excitement!

Rude Dog