Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Rear Axle nut tightening specs. (Warrior)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2002, 02:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yesterday while playing around in our 89 Warrior, my son mentioned that he heard some noise coming from the rear axle. Upon further inspection, I noticed that the double axle nuts were loose and the rear sprocket hub had a tiny bit of play (could move it back and forth on the axle just a tiny bit).

I didn't think that this was normal, so I tightened the inner locknut just tight enough to remove all play from the sprocket hub, then tightened the locknut against it. It rode fine other than the fact that the chain was too loose, and no more noises from the back end.

Is there some preload against the hub that I should use for a spec, or did I tighten it correctly? Also, I checked my 98 Warrior and its rear sprocket hub had the same small play, but the axle nuts weren't loose of course. Did I tighten the inner nut down too tight? I think that the other side of the sprocket hub goes against the bearings, correct? If that is the case, I want to make sure I don't burn them up.

I have a Warrior manual on order, but hoping someone can help me with this for now.

Thanks in advance,
Dean

Old 08-11-2002, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The procedure for tightening the ring nuts is quite lengthy and requires several steps in the process; way to long to post here. If it were my bike I'd wait for the shop manual before riding it or doing the job. The torque spec on the axle nut however, is 85 FP. (This is the nut holding the wheel hub) If the cotter key slots don't align, tighten until they do.
It is unlikely that you've over- tightened the ring nuts as the final torque is 140 FP, but again, it requires several steps in the process. The axle nut on the hub can loosen even though a cotter key is in place, due to the play in the keyway itself. Retighten to 85 fp or slightly more to align the keyways