Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Loud Exhaust - Got Busted!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2002, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Blue, DMC sells the Spark Arrester for the Alien. Try that before buyin a whole new pipe. Like i said, I had the Arrester on my Alien and revved it at half and tested out at 96 db.

Old 08-17-2002, 06:23 PM
Pro Rider

Hey zombie - I do have the SA bolted on. This kinda makes me sick. I spent a lot of time looking at pipes. The DMC was it for me. You remember my post from a while back. I was a little confused about their claims for HP gains. Anyway, I loved the pipe. It just felt right. I saw it, and knew it was the one. I might try repacking it like garyc660r suggested. I need to think on it for a while. I spent a lot of time and money getting it jetted right via dyno. It would be hard to pull it off, and go with something different. You ever go to your favorite breakfast house, and order your favorite breakfast (like bisquits and gravy), and find out they're out of bisquits? Then you settle for something you didn't really want. That's how I'll feel X1000 if I have to pull this pipe off and go with yoshi, or one of the others. I remember your post about being tested at 96 db at 1/2 rev. That's why I thought I would be okay. I leave the staging areas in 1st gear, and putt out a ways before I get going. Once you get out a ways, no one can hear you. The thick trees and bushes absorb the sound pretty good. But when I went out last time, the guys where there, and they tested everyone before you could hit the trail. It was two of them, one guy worked the throttle, the other had the test unit. The guy on the throttle pretty much opened it up. They were pretty cool about the whole thing. Almost like they felt bad about citing me. But, they well let me know what the consequences are if I get cited again.

Well, I'm off to do some research about pipes again. Yoshi seems to have a good name, and those who own them seem to be happy. That's most likely what I'll put on. Screw it, maybe I'll just move to Nevada...

Old 08-18-2002, 01:10 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, that would be a good idea to try the packing first. No use spending another $450 when you can buy some packing.

Go to your local Radio Shack and pick yourself up a db meter. They are only $30 to $50 depending on what style you get. Better yet, just trailer your quad to the nearest DNR officer and ask him to check it for you. Tell him that you are wanting to stay within the legal limit and you would just like to have it inspected. After he gets over his initial shock........I'm sure he will check it for you.

Problem solved.

GregV

Old 08-18-2002, 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

I didn't know I could get those at Radio Shack. I think I will try repacking it, and I will pick up the db meter, and see where I stand. Even at 103, it's very close to 101. Not much difference there. With the SA, I thought I would be around 102, so I was a little surprised that I still came out at 103 when I was tested. Anyway, thanks for the info...

Old 08-18-2002, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey i was wondering how did yu like that alien pipe and did you have the header too or juss the slip on and what did you think about the performance?????

Old 08-18-2002, 03:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey blue rulez your out of auburn i will buy your dmc pipe off you i ride at pismo a lot im not far from you?? you ever ride at forest hills i juss rode there for fourth of july? it was cool but narrow trails.

Old 08-18-2002, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

Sickraptor - I love the DMC pipe. Dyno'd pretty high (don't remember now without pulling the paperwork, but was somewhere between 48 & 49 hp), even though I wasn't having it dyno'd for hp numbers, but for for dialing in the jetting. The dyno used was for motorcycles, so they had to take one tire off, and do some weird stuff to set it up. So those numbers are most likely bogus. I'm going to buy a db meter at radio shack as suggested by GregV, and I am going to rapack it with the stuff suggested by gary660r from Silent Sport. Then I'll see where the numbers come in. Hopefully around 101, then I will keep it. If not, I will sell the pipe, and go with the yoshi exhaust.

I ride at Foresthill all the time. I like it there. Yes, the trails are tight, but I've gotten pretty good up there. I spend a lot of time in third. I just lean back, open it up, and get those front tires to float a little. You can really haul if you do that. Ride around there for a while, and then get yourself on some groomed trails. I guarantee, there's not many who can catch you. It's like going from a windy mountain road, to a five lane freeway.

Anyway, if I get to the point where I am going to sell the DMC, I will post an add in the classified areas of this board. PM me if you want me to send you a message when I do that.

Thanks...

Old 08-18-2002, 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

blue rulez do you have just the dmc pipe or the whole header kit?

Old 08-18-2002, 03:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

blue rulez you guy or girl? how much you pay for your dmc?

Old 08-18-2002, 05:37 AM
Pro Rider

BlueRulz, I'm sorry about the pipe. It is one badass pipe though. I hpe I did'nt mislead you on the DB. If you want to sell it let me know, I'm very interested. I just got a 2003 LE and that will be the pipe for me. Man that pisses me off, I'm sorry about the DB.

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust - Got Busted!