Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Problem, *BAD FUEL LEAK*

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2002, 01:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up a 2001 raptor, with some basic mods. Pipe, jet kit, intake, etc.. I have a bad habbit of leaving the gas turned on after riding or moving either of my quads, which isn't much of a problem never had a leak out of either. Anyway, the other night a friend of mine that knows way more about atv's than I do wanted to see what jets it had in it, so he pulled it apart and took a look and then put evetything back together.

<the problem>

Tonight I go down stairs jack with the raptor some "polishing" etc, turn the gas on to pull it inside and then went up stairs. I come down about 20min later to find a huge puddle of fuel on the floor. I pushed it outside and noticed the air box was FULL of fuel as well, I pulled the airbox drain <about a gallon of gas came out> and shut the gas off.. Whats the problem?! any help would be great thanks!

Old 08-24-2002, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

1~your friend may not have reassembled the carb correctly & you have a flot sticking
2~you may have got some trash in the needle & seat & it's leaking.

Either way your gonna have to pull the carbs, clean them out, check your float hight & reassemble them.

Old 08-24-2002, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, except do it yourself this time. It sounds like your friend may have sausage fingered something. If you need any help take a look at my "Photos" page and go to "Jetting". It will show you pictures and suggestions on going back in.

Wow......a gallon of gas in your air box.......CRAP!!

Good Luck........tell us what you find.

GregV

Old 08-26-2002, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Your buddy may have stood the Raptor up on the grab bar without turning off the gas first and running the carbs dry. When you do that, the gas leaks from the bowls back into the airbox and if the valve isn't shut off, it will continue to pour into your airbox. If you are gonna stand it up, make sure to turn off the gas and either drain the carbs or run them dry to keep this from happening to you.

Also, make sure you re-oil your airfilter because the gas will break down the oil and leave you with no protection on your filter. Good luck, and hope you haven't torn down your carbs just yet!

Old 08-26-2002, 03:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

My EX did that the other day two, Ran back through the carb and into the airbox. There was a pretty big spot of gas underneath the airbox and on the shock linkage...

Old 08-26-2002, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

UPDATE:

My friend came over, pulled the carbs off took everything back apart. Made sure there wasn't any dirt etc in the carbs, put them back together and everything is good to go.