Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

raptor radiator fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002, 11:59 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gentlemen,
i seems to have a reoccurring problem with my raptor....after the 690 kit was installed my motor seems to push out radiator fluid out from the radiator....it fills up the reservior tank and spits out the overflow tube on the reservior tank....not a huge problem..but i am always topping off my radiator everytime i go riding...not that it's a maintenance problem to me....i love to wrench and do so every chance i get.....but if someone had or has this problem and can enlighten me why this is happening and how can i fix it i would appreciate it...i do understand that with a 686 motor with 12.5:1 compression i am going to run hotter... my fan does work and does come on occasionally....so everything is working great as far as the cooling system is concerned...just looking for some advice /help here....MRMOTOR, Velociraptor...Alljuice....Kingraptor...Knowsalot. ...Barlettracing....or anyone else that knows or has some information and has a big bore raptor.....please help my out here...i would highly appreciated it.......
herbdon out......

Old 09-02-2002, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

I know for sure it doesnt have much to do with it being a "big-bore"

I dont have one and Im not one of the above,, so your out luck.

Old 09-02-2002, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

dude i had the same problem with my 85 tri z and it was not due to overheating. it was cause of a bad head gasket. try retorquing the head, if not then maybe the head needs to get resurfaced and get a better head gasket.

Old 09-02-2002, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe get a radiator cap that's stronger & something like engine ice?

Old 09-02-2002, 09:31 AM
Trailblazer

Dude, I had the SAME thing happen to me. What is happining is the head gasket is failed and allowing the compression from the cylinder to leak into the cooling jacket, and pressurizing your cooling system so that the radiator cap opens and dumps all of your fluid out your overflow. I coulden't figure out what my problem was because my bike wasen't getting hot, the fan wasen't coming on. But i gaurentee this is your problem.

Old 09-02-2002, 08:46 PM
Range Rover

ok....now that i am over the shock...i feel it is my head bolts on torqued properly....i didnt put the motor back together so it's not something i did...however i suspect that if i checked the head bolts i would find one in particular that prolly is not tightened enough...i noticed several times that one bolts doesnt' look proper...if you do alot of wrenching and i do you will know what i am saying...i will have the head gasket checked after my next race...which is on the 8th....meanwhile i will drop a torque wrench on it and see if all the bolts are in spec....thanks for the heads up....my damn heart is pounding hard now...dont want to screw up my motor........

barlett...my coolant is perfect...no discoloration....i hope it's just some coolant weeping past the head gasket...it's doesnt spit alot of coolant...just a little....i will have my mechanic pull the head and replace the gasket after my race.....i to am going to look into the pingy oil tank...always nice to have more oil.......i like the temp gauge by Warped...but my raptor never really gets that hot to where i would want to monitor it....maybe as an eye catching item in the future......
herbdon.....

Old 09-02-2002, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Herbon

If you want to get the water temp for your bike go get the ESR water temp and it come with liquid fill (shock proof). I got one on my bike and it way better looking the warped.

Old 09-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Range Rover

ok gentlmen...here is the scope...took my raptor to my mechanic....he looked at it...had me start it after he checked the radiator...while it was running he educated me on radiator systems....hell i know alot but not everything...anyway...he didnt see any bubbles in the radiator while it was running....he checked the radiator cap and all the gaskets that are on the cap....he also checked the hose running from just below the cap to the reservior tank....here is what he found...i had clinked the hose during the reconstruction of my raptor....apparently when the coolant gets hot it expands and pushes into the reservior tank...when the motor cools the radiator sucks the coolant back to the radiator....well with a clinked hose the radiator wasnt able to pull the coolant back...hence the reservior tank would fill up and spit out any new fluid coming into the tank.....i have to pull the plastic off the reroute the hose....i was so happy to find out that my head gasket was fine....i really thought i was but i wasnt totally sure...and now i am...i trust my mechanic with anything i own...he is awesome...i can call him one day before a race and he will fix what ever i want....he is the bomb.....so thanks for the help all..... i have a head gasket and a set of head bolt on my shelf just in case someday i do blow a gasket....hehehehehehehehehehehehe......fun and safe riding all........

herbdon out........

Old 09-05-2002, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to hear that it was something simple.

By the way are you going to get a water temp that way you know what temp you are at when running it?

Old 09-05-2002, 01:10 PM
Range Rover

SURE AM DSRACER....JUST GOTTA WAIT TILL THE RACE SEASON IS OVER....I AM ON A BUDGET DURING RACE SEASON....THE WIFE PUT ME ON ONE...HEHE....ONCE THE SEASON IS OVER....BRING ON THE NEW PARTS...HEHE....I LIKE THE ESR TEMP GAUGE MUCH BETTER THAN THE OTHER....I WAS CHECKING THEM OUT LAST NIGHT....WILL BE A GOOD LOOKING AND FUNCTIONAL ADDITION TO MY KICK ARS RAPTOR.......HEY...DO YOU HAVE MORE PICS OF YOUR MX RAPTOR...I WANT TO CHECK IT OUT MORE.........
HERBDON OUT...