Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Pistons, Yamaha Banshee

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2000, 02:00 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been looking at Wiseco Prolite and Trinity Superlites by Wiseco. I believe they are both forged, but are they lighter than stock? Will they drastically provide more compression, and if so should I weld the crank while I am into it. I am running fmf rad valve, k&n, T5, coolhead 21cc domes, and for now stock carbs.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-2000, 10:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have the wiseco prolites in my bike with 19 cc domes fmf ram valves fmf pipes &35 mm carbs plus some other stuff but I never welded my crank. I think I read that same thing about truing the crank when you bump up comp. but I asked around and got told thats not true if your just a weeked rider and mine has held after alot of harsh riding

Old 03-23-2000, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mike

Did you install the pistons at the same time as other equipment. What I mean to ask is, are you able to feel a difference in performance with or without the prolites. Did the pistons themselves add more compression. Four-stroke pistons come in different compression ranges and am wondering if the same holds true for 2strokes.

By the way I was told that Race gas is necessary with 20cc or less domes. I am beginning to think that may be bogus, I hear a lot of stories of 92 octane all the time.

Hey, thanks for the info.

Old 03-24-2000, 07:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I put the pistons in after every thing that I did.It has had alot of hard sand drag time on it last year but I did feel a bit more compression I just cant tell you if it is from the pistons or just a fresh top end. But one thing I did notice is it seemed to rap up faster. If your bike needs a top end done thene I would say put aftermarket pistons in but if it dosent need a top end dont speed the time or money. GAS I run b4es ngk spark plugs witch burn hot so I can run trick(114) the gas helps cool things down but you need compression and a hot plug

Old 03-24-2000, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mike

I just bought from trinity, the Super-Lites, which they say are 12-24 g lighter than the pro-lights. When they arrive I'll see. I talked to wiseco today as well and they said that pretty much all pistons for two stroke are manufactured to meet the static compression stock. Also they said that the lighter pistons is what provides the power increase: Lighter therefore easier to move.

My bike doesn't need top work, or not that I know of. I figure what the hell, I got the top off, it is not that much more to do the pistons.

Do you have a longer swing arm (than stock)?

99 Ban 98 Warrrior

Old 03-24-2000, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

It is alot of work to do a top end I would hold of until you feel a power loss.It makes the job ez if you pull the motor but that is alot of work if you try to do it in the bike you may not be able to torqe the bolts right and that can leed to major motor prblems.Also if you do it make sure you change the top end bearings,wrist pins, clips and hone your jugs.If you are looking for more power tell me what you already have and I can help you out without having to do a top end.If your bike is stock you will see little to no power gain just with pistons you have got to match parts so thay work together. I do alot of track riding so I do not have a longer swing arm witch is apain in the butt because my bike makes alot of power and I fight to keep the front end down.I dont have to many after market susp. stuff I just bought it last year and I wanted to go "fast" first but I'm starting to do susp.mods

Old 03-24-2000, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

The mods I've done so far are in the top thread. Additionally I have the jet kit. The cool heads and the pistons have yet to be installed. I originally wanted to go with the 19cc domes but hesitated only for fear of not knowing the machine (what product gives you what and how much).

I did plan on taking the motor out of the bike, I am a big believer in torque wrences and lock-tite. I also want to take a close look at the cylinders while it is out. A previous jetting error blued the pipes on one side and there may be galling. If for nothing else I get an opportunity to spend time with my bike.

Historically I have been going in $1,000 spurts, and this time I am finished after the 35mm carbs. I figure that at 190lbs I can use the exercise in trying to hold the front end down. Next depending on the performance may be swing arm and shock. by the way is there a diff in pwk kehin and pwk air stryker?

Enjoyed the chat, later.

Old 03-24-2000, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just seen you are in AZ you have the king of port work in your back yard.You could have a sick fast bike.K T performance is the name of the place I think I know K T forsure.The fastest bike at the sand dunes for the 3 years here in colorado had his port work and let me tell you.If your going to do the topend and you want 35mm you need to get some port work I seen this guys port work in action you wont be let down.If you can find this guy let me know I would relay like my port work redone by this guy! Oh pwk kihein and pwk as.I think thay are the same thing I've never seen them together in any mag.thayether list one or the other never both.

Old 03-24-2000, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll look him up Sat. You've had port/polish done, top and bottom? Did it buy you much for the $. If I had the money I would do all the mods at once. I was concerned that going to the 35mm's before p&p that I wouldn't have the air flow to pull a decent air fuel mixture.

You've got me lookin' forward to getting this stuff on my bike. Glamis will be warming up fast this year. Tell me a bit about what kind of track you ride, is it pro?

I'll e-mail you direct if I find KT. Later

Old 03-26-2000, 12:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a 96 friday night from a buddy I more or less stole it for $1000 what a score.So I took the unpored motor out of the 96 and put it in my 99 today and I said what the hell took all my bolt on stuff off the 99 motor and put it on the 96 motor.( Parts are cool head 19cc dro design intake pro design timing advance plate fmf ram valves reed valve spacers 35mm pwk's and clamp on air filters fmf fatty pipes) and let me tell you the power band is sick it pull strong from bottom to top.It hits hard as hell in the mid range and almost never seems to die off.I could not belive it! I have been told by many many people and I have told people that you can not run 35mm carbs without port work and I leard today that it works and works better than I could ever think of.I cant wait to go to the track tomarow I lucked into the best track bike. So I am sorry for telling you that you need port work.But I still would like that guys info if you can.I want to turn the 96 into a hillshooter/sand drag and you cant be super fast with out sick port work.But the 99 motor has been ported top & bottom and to tell you the truth after riding the 96 today it was way to pipey.As far as tracks any that have dirt it dont matter to me I have a blast just being on my bike.

Quick Reply: Pistons, Yamaha Banshee